New 2015 yz450f, New Rider, I'm short , she's tall

22 replies to this topic
  • Orvis309

Posted June 16, 2015 - 10:40 AM

The geometry is not identical, you have changed the shock's possition in it's stroke changing your top out and bottom out lenght, also (and more importantly for geometry) you have changed the angle of the swing arm which changed anti-squat and lift and wheelbase and a ton of other things.

IMG_2130.JPG

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Orvis309

Posted June 16, 2015 - 10:50 AM

As the OP said, he's short and the bike is tall, I have a '15 YZ450F myself, lucky for me I'm 6'1 and how tall these bikes are is one of the reasons I bought one. The springs and valves are set for someone our weight (we are both 200 lbs) of course riding ability plays a role but as he says he's new to the dirt bike game so we won't factor that in. 110mm is a good race sag for these bikes as it puts the swing arm right where you want it while leaving proper up travel and down travel. Having the forks  5-8mm up in the triple clamp makes the front end feel planted and helps this big girl corner while also lowering the bike a touch for our 5'8 OP

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2015 - 11:07 AM

And how much change in angularity of the swing arm do you seriously suppose 5mm makes? Swing arm geometry has far less to do with overall handling than you give it credit for, and much less than the change to the steering geometry that moving the fork tubes up accomplishes.  But whatever you like.

If the rear suspension tops excessively, then you may have something, or it could simply be a matter of too little rebound ( a common problem with YZ's in general ). 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.