New 2015 yz450f, New Rider, I'm short , she's tall

22 replies to this topic
  • smitty46

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:40 PM

Guys, Im pretty new the dirt bike game, grew up with them but have mainly been on my Gsxr1000 for the last 10 years and ready to go back to dirt. I picked a 15 YZ450F and a YFZ450 in the last couple months. To get to the point, what suspension settings do you recommend for a 5'8" 200lb rider for the YZ, Mostly for track not much on the trails. I hear a lot about sag lowering links and fork adjustments, just looking to settle in on this thing. Thanks in advance !

• JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:47 PM

http://www.thumperta...-lower-a-yz450/

• Monk

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:04 PM

Lowering it internally is the only option if you want to maintain a a balanced bikes...

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted June 08, 2015 - 06:30 PM

If I were you I would not lower it. I am about 2 inches shorter than you and I am glad I left mine stock after debating lowering it. I would not want to lose travel of suspension. Sprung/valved for your weight and ability will make it easier to ride.
The height doesn't bother me very often anymore.

• CZRoger

Posted June 09, 2015 - 02:57 PM

I have a '14. 5'11" with short legs. Height of the bike only bothers me on the starting line.

• Phil Hannah

Posted June 09, 2015 - 03:10 PM

Guys, Im pretty new the dirt bike game, grew up with them but have mainly been on my Gsxr1000 for the last 10 years and ready to go back to dirt. I picked a 15 YZ450F and a YFZ450 in the last couple months. To get to the point, what suspension settings do you recommend for a 5'8" 200lb rider for the YZ, Mostly for track not much on the trails. I hear a lot about sag lowering links and fork adjustments, just looking to settle in on this thing. Thanks in advance !

JGR has an adjustable sub frame. Might be worth looking at.

• n16ht5

Posted June 10, 2015 - 10:38 AM

I'm 5'9". My other bike is a 13 FE250 that the PO had lowered an inch internally. I am going to pull it apart and restore it to stock height. It bottoms out if you look at it the wrong way, and I only weigh 145lbs. Lowering a bike is just a crutch for people who can't ride

• rr558

Posted June 11, 2015 - 05:08 PM

I'm 5'9". My other bike is a 13 FE250 that the PO had lowered an inch internally. I am going to pull it apart and restore it to stock height. It bottoms out if you look at it the wrong way, and I only weigh 145lbs. Lowering a bike is just a crutch for people who can't ride

• rr558

Posted June 11, 2015 - 05:09 PM

You do realize almost every pro lowers their bikes right .

• grayracer513

Posted June 12, 2015 - 07:41 AM

A gratuitous assertion.  Not buying.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted June 12, 2015 - 08:28 AM

You do realize almost every pro lowers their bikes right .

:lol:

• rr558

Posted June 14, 2015 - 05:10 AM

So I guess JGR makes and sells adjustable subframe because they need the money.

• n16ht5

Posted June 14, 2015 - 08:14 AM

So I guess JGR makes and sells adjustable subframe because they need the money.

That doesn't affect the suspension at all. It lowers the seat height only by shortening the lower portion of the subframe. 

• rr558

Posted June 14, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Well that's sort of what I meant.Your still lowering the bike but I guess I should have explained it better for the simple minded on TT

• grayracer513

Posted June 15, 2015 - 07:09 AM

You can drop the comments like "simple-minded" immediately, thanks.  If you want to argue semantics, I'm sorry, but lowering the bike and lowering the seat are not interchangeable terminology, and lowering the bike is a bad bet for the reasons stated.

Lowering the sub frame has its limits, too, because eventually, the fender starts contacting the tire deep in the stroke.  It's pretty simple, really.  If you have a 27 inch tall rear wheel, and you raise it into the rear suspension 12", that gives you a minimum of 39" above the ground for anything that goes above the rear wheel at the top of the tire. 

• Orvis309

Posted June 15, 2015 - 09:25 AM

OP set your sag to 110mm and drop your forks 5-8mm in thr triple clamp. Otherwise the suspension is set up for your weight already, you shouldn't have to do anything other than play with clickers. And remember small adjustments, never more than 2 clicks

• smitty46

Posted June 15, 2015 - 05:57 PM

What's the best way to set the sag?

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Before you try, do this:  No one has reported a problem yet with a '15, but some with earlier models in the '10 -'13 have had the lock rings seize to the shock body and have had to clean up the threads once they finally got the thing apart.  Avoid this by taking the precaution of spraying the rings and shock body with a penetrating oil product like PB Blaster 12 hours prior to adjusting.  :thumbsup:

To set the sag, measure from axle to a point on the sub frame while the bike is lifted off the ground on a stand, then with your weight seated in the normal position.  The best way to measure is with someone else holding the bike while you stand on the pegs, putting as little weight as possible on the handlebar, while a third person measures.  That makes it more repeatably accurate.

BTW:

set your sag to 110mm and drop your forks 5-8mm in thr triple clamp.

This is exactly the same as leaving the fork at its full length and setting the sag at 105.  The only difference is the bike is 5mm lower one way than the other.

• Orvis309

Posted June 16, 2015 - 06:46 AM

This is not the same, the sag is different and will make it handle different

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Not really.  All the geometry is identical in either case.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.