Oil Glass problems 2010 YZ450F

22 replies to this topic
  • oneindustree

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:26 PM

Guys,

I'm lost. Manual says 1 quart with oil change. I did that. After starting the bike, I see the oil fill up the window, but the oil glass shows nada after shutting down and waiting the 1 min or so.

See pic for reference.

I just bought this bike and have never used a sight glass. After I changed the oil, the exhaust blows some white smoke on the back end of the rev. I'm stumped and im.not sure if it's me doing something wrong or the bike has a problem.

Side note: 20W50 Yamalube is being used. I changed the oil twice and same result. Help a new mx rider out guys

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150605_190048.jpg

Edited by oneindustree, June 05, 2015 - 09:22 PM.

• BGoyins

Posted June 05, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Are you pulling both drain plugs? Also, I found that my 2011 doesn't take a full litre even with filter change.

• oneindustree

Posted June 05, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Yep both drain plugs come out

• oneindustree

Posted June 05, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Let me clarify a little more. I could really use some advice guys.

Today: 

Changed the oil and filter. Put in 1.2 qts. Fired up the bike for 2 min, shut down and waited 2 min. Window shows no oil.

Drained the oil (both drain plugs). Put in 1 qt of oil and fired up the bike. Again, waited the 2 min for warmup and 1 min cool down.

Oil window is empty. 

Could the oil lines be clogged? Oil pump not working? Low on oil?  I read Grayracer's dry sump system thread, but failed to get any clarity on this situation. 

Please help a new dirt biker out guys

• KTMfinrider

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:43 AM

By the look of the oil window it looks you have liquid in your oil and the fact you said if blows white smoke..

:devil:

• grayracer513

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:02 AM

What shows in the window if you only wait 15-30 seconds?

• BGoyins

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Maybe I'm not clear, but the picture IS showing oil. After you change it before it really warms up it gets filled with lots of tiny air bubbles and looks just like your picture. Tip the bike to the side and you will see the level move down. I want to say it only takes about 700 to 800 ml to fill it up.

• KTMfinrider

Posted June 06, 2015 - 08:37 AM

What shows in the window if you only wait 15-30 seconds

Does that oil look like it has been contaminated with water or liquid Grey? :unsure:

• oneindustree

Posted June 06, 2015 - 11:01 AM

What shows in the window if you only wait 15-30 seconds?

Initially, the window fills up. Then it disappears after 1 min, or sits in the window for.more than 5 min.

Kinda hard to tell if it's on, low, or overfilled

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 06, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Oil should never be that color

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pomoco

Posted June 06, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Yeah, that looks like it has water in it.

• oneindustree

Posted June 07, 2015 - 06:03 AM

I thought the same thing guys, however after draining the oil the first time the oil had air bubbles. No water or antifreeze.

Still lost on getting this oil level figured out

• Krannie McKranface

Posted June 07, 2015 - 10:12 AM

Hot oil should not have any air bubbles, period.

• grayracer513

Posted June 07, 2015 - 10:25 AM

The picture looks like an empty sight glass to me.  Don't know where you're seeing the coolant.

There are two reasons that the oil would disappear from the glass so quickly.  If it appears there at all after the bike is shut down, then it isn't under filled.  The fact that it disappers indicates that it's draining back to the sump, and it order to do that, you would have to have a leaking low pressure check valve seal, a stuck-open check valve, or a very worn oil pump. 

The check valve and seal are items 27 through 29 in the image, with 27 being the seal.

51685_crankcasecover1.gif

• oneindustree

Posted June 07, 2015 - 11:30 AM

I'll pm you Grayracer

• Goforaride

Posted June 07, 2015 - 03:34 PM

Looks like aerated oil. I had the same thing once after over filling.

• grayracer513

Posted June 08, 2015 - 06:01 AM

I'll pm you Grayracer

Why? The discussion should stay in the forum so others can contribute and learn from the outcome.  That's the whole idea.

Looks like aerated oil. I had the same thing once after over filling.

That could be the case, too.  There is basically no extra space in the oil tank section of the cases, and even the the 200cc overfill (1.2 liters instead of 1qt or 1 liter) might do that under the right circumstances.

• BGoyins

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Guess I'll beat this drum again. Both of my 2011's often do this after an oil/filtrr change before the oil gets HOT. I don't overfill, it's not water, it's air bubbles. It goes away when you get the oil hot... not a 2 or 3 minute warm up in garage. I believe it's normal and the bike can be ridden. Usually a quart is too much despite what the book says.

• Goforaride

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:41 AM

Guess I'll beat this drum again. Both of my 2011's often do this after an oil/filtrr change before the oil gets HOT. I don't overfill, it's not water, it's air bubbles. It goes away when you get the oil hot... not a 2 or 3 minute warm up in garage. I believe it's normal and the bike can be ridden. Usually a quart is too much despite what the book says.

the issue with this is that highly airetad oil lacks the proper lubricating properties. It therefore causes accelerated wear. In my opinion, if your having this happen something is wrong

• BGoyins

Posted June 08, 2015 - 07:59 AM

Fair enough, but I dont recall ever seeing this except after the oil change. I don't see this during normal engine run cycles between oil changes. It sometimes gets air when the filter and sumps get drained. Don't know why.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.