2013 yz 450f runs rough at steady throttle, but fine everwhere else.

9 replies to this topic
  • Jonell

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:23 PM

Bought this bike used a couple days ago from local yamaha dealer. Has low hours, but seems to run really rough when i'm not on the gas.  Any ideas would be appreciated!!

This is my first post on TT, but no doubt not my last..

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Jonell, June 04, 2015 - 08:24 PM.

• dirtbeater

Posted June 04, 2015 - 09:05 PM

Clean the carb is the first thing that comes to mind. Cheap also.

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:30 AM

I dont know much bout the newer bikes but try unplugging the tps and see if it changes anything

• yzdaddy

Posted June 05, 2015 - 03:50 AM

Bought this bike used a couple days ago from local yamaha dealer. Has low hours, but seems to run really rough when i'm not on the gas.  Any ideas would be appreciated!!

This is my first post on TT, but no doubt not my last..

Thank you for your time.

If you just bought it take it back to the dealer. Is it your first efi bike?

• yzdaddy

Posted June 05, 2015 - 03:51 AM

Clean the carb is the first thing that comes to mind. Cheap also.

What if it doesn't have a carb?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:14 AM

On the older ones when it runs rough at only a steady throttle is usually a tps problem. I would start by unplugging it and see if that cures it. Dunno if its same as tge carbureted ones though but worth a try

• dirtbeater

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:20 AM

Wow. I am stupid and didnt see the year. My bad. I will go hang my head in shame.

• Jonell

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:13 AM

Just spoke with the mechanic at the dealerership, says he's never heard of that before, told him i'm going to try some fuel injector cleaner in it tommorrow and if that doesnt help then i'll unplug the  tps as you guys suggested and see if that helps.  He also said former owner may have been playing with the map settings. Now I just have to try and locate the tps

Have to work all day today so it'll have to wait until tommorrow.

• Jonell

Posted June 05, 2015 - 07:17 AM

Yes YZDaddy, it is indeed my first efi bike.

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2015 - 09:11 AM

Unplugging the TPS on a carbed bike disables the 3 dimensional timing map, wherein timing is adjusted both by RPM and throttle position (engine load).  Unplugging the TPS on an EFI system will disable fuel delivery along with that.

Get access to either the tech scanner tool at the shop, or a GYT-R Power Tuner, then interrogate the ECU for trouble/fault codes.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.