cracked case yz450f

7 replies to this topic
  • fastracrew

Posted June 04, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Hey guys just cracked my case chain snapped on a big hip as soon as i was on the hammer so I attempt to jb weld the crack/hole the hole was behind the front sprocket which is now ok but what I didn't know is if the seal where the clutch goes inn it was hit pretty hard it seems so I started it and a bit of oil came up thro so I pulled the seal and it damaged so I changed it and put the clutch shafts back in with new seal stated it today and it leaked way worse withe new seal and all cleaned up
Looking for some advise if you guys could help thanks so much

• MotoAddict530

Posted June 04, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Hey guys just cracked my case chain snapped on a big hip as soon as i was on the hammer so I attempt to jb weld the crack/hole the hole was behind the front sprocket which is now ok but what I didn't know is if the seal where the clutch goes inn it was hit pretty hard it seems so I started it and a bit of oil came up thro so I pulled the seal and it damaged so I changed it and put the clutch shafts back in with new seal stated it today and it leaked way worse withe new seal and all cleaned up
Looking for some advise if you guys could help thanks so much

Sorry man that kind of damage is the kiss of death to a case half. Not much to do except split your motor and replace it with a good used case half off of ebay, and this time put a case guard on it for your chain. Sometimes your can fix cracks with some skilled welding but when it goes into that area of the case its hard to repair and make strong again. If your crack goes into a seal you can never make it right again where the seal won't leak.

Someone might chime in with some miracle fix that might be worth trying but for me I would just buy a used ebay part.

• grayracer513

Posted June 05, 2015 - 09:00 AM

The problem is that the transmission is fed high pressure system oil through a passage that passes under the clutch release arm seal into the two shafts.  You'll never get it sealed with JB. 

• ttreewalkerr

Posted May 23, 2016 - 02:14 PM

I tipped as with gear set to position for getting out the crank bearing, and this little spring and plunger fell out. Anyone know where this thing came from ?

Attached Thumbnails

• 1464041592768.jpg
  • 1464041605621.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • drtrcr400

Posted May 23, 2016 - 02:23 PM

I tipped as with gear set to position for getting out the crank bearing, and this little spring and plunger fell out. Anyone know where this thing came from ?

It goes into the end of the shift drum and contacts the neutral position sensor on the left side case.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted May 23, 2016 - 02:48 PM

Thanks!

• toten

Posted May 24, 2016 - 09:08 AM

Sorry man that kind of damage is the kiss of death to a case half. Not much to do except split your motor and replace it with a good used case half off of ebay, and this time put a case guard on it for your chain. Sometimes your can fix cracks with some skilled welding but when it goes into that area of the case its hard to repair and make strong again. If your crack goes into a seal you can never make it right again where the seal won't leak.

Someone might chime in with some miracle fix that might be worth trying but for me I would just buy a used ebay part.

I thought case halves were machined together (like cam caps) and not generally swappable... are YZ case halves swappable?

• grayracer513

Posted May 24, 2016 - 09:49 AM

They are machined in pairs bolted together, yes, so technically, they can't be mixed with cases from other pairs.  It is done, however, and people get away with it, at least for a while.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.