all of a sudden lost back brakes on 14 yz450

4 replies to this topic
  • ttr230rider6

Posted June 02, 2015 - 03:40 PM

i seen a few threads regarding this issue but i wanted to explain exactly what happened with mine. I was riding in a gravel pit hitting jumps, etc. and my brakes were fine, and then all of a sudden i went for the back brake and the pedal went through the full stroke and didnt give me any braking power. it will not build any pressure at all when pumping it. When it happened there seamed to be an oily film on the master cylinder but when i try and pump the brakes now, there are no apparent leaks and no film on the master cylinder.

I may have gotten a bit of air in the line a couple nights ago when i opened the bleed screw with the brake pedal up, however i couldnt get any pressure before that anyways.

So would my best plan of attack be to bleed the brakes properly, or would you assume that there is a failure in the master cylinder?

thanks 

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted June 02, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Start by bleeding the breaks and go from there

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2015 - 06:23 AM

Bleed them first.  Be aware as you do so that air bubbles love to set up shop in the banjo fitting where the line connects to the master.  Once you establish reasonably clear fluid flow at the bleeder, loosen the line at the master and either push the pedal down and hold it, or push the brake pads back some, and retighten the line. 

• ttr230rider6

Posted June 03, 2015 - 02:57 PM

Bleed them first. Be aware as you do so that air bubbles love to set up shop in the banjo fitting where the line connects to the master. Once you establish reasonably clear fluid flow at the bleeder, loosen the line at the master and either push the pedal down and hold it, or push the brake pads back some, and retighten the line.

Thanks for the reply. I am currently bleeding the brakes now. I am getting a lot of air bubbles coming out of the bleeder. The brake pads do not move at all with the application of the brake. I assume this is normal when bleeding them.

Edited by ttr230rider6, June 03, 2015 - 02:57 PM.

• ttr230rider6

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:19 PM

So I just finished bleeding the brakes. I kept bleeding until I got a steady flow of fluid with no bubbles. I then loosened the line going to the M/C, held the brake pedal down and retightened and I am still with zero pressure. The piston in the calliper does not move, so therefore the pads don't move.

What should my next move be??

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.