clutch engagement too fast

2 replies to this topic
  • cupcake2100

Posted June 02, 2015 - 11:53 AM

hello, i have a weird question, i have a magura hydraulic clutch on my 2002 wr426 and the clutch engages to fast, because of this it is hard not to pop the clutch a little bit, im wondering if there is a way to adjust this, it feels very different from the cable clutch on my old xr600, is this just because it is hydraulic or is there an adjustment that i can do to make it engage a little slower, thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2015 - 02:22 PM

If you mean that the clutch grabs aggressively as it starts to engage, the problem is your clutch plates, and/or missing parts in the stack. It could also be the fault of the torsional cushions built into the basket/driven gear assembly.  Inspect this last by trying to rotate the gear on the basket.  If there is any actual free play there, the cushions are shot.

But more likely, the clutch is missing the Bellville spring and seat ring that goes at the bottom of the stack.  That could be because someone replaced the plates with aftermarket parts that did not allow for the ring to be reinstalled.  Yamaha provides one friction plate with a slightly larger ID to make room for the ring.

The plate, spring, and seat plate (ring) are 12, 13, and 14 in the picture, and the part numbers are 5JG-16321-00-00, 5JG-16383-00-00, and 5JG-16384-00-00, in that order.

parts.png

• cupcake2100

Posted June 02, 2015 - 03:41 PM

thanks for the fast reply, ill look into it

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.