How to ensure this 2011 yz450f is not a "ticking time bomb"?

16 replies to this topic
  • YamBam13

Posted May 31, 2015 - 04:09 AM

im going to go look at a 2011 yz450f today. The bike looks sharp in the pics and is just down the road.
What do I look for to make sure it was well taken care of? The guy said about 60 hours is on it and it looks pretty clean, and he did oil and air filter after every ride.

Lastly, if I want to sell a 450f will I have a harder time selling it than a 250 2t? I'm stuck between a kx250 and this yz450f. I'm pretty cheap so I don't know how that plays into the equation. What's the average rebuild cost of a 450f?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• yzdaddy

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:21 AM

im going to go look at a 2011 yz450f today. The bike looks sharp in the pics and is just down the road.
What do I look for to make sure it was well taken care of? The guy said about 60 hours is on it and it looks pretty clean, and he did oil and air filter after every ride.

Lastly, if I want to sell a 450f will I have a harder time selling it than a 250 2t? I'm stuck between a kx250 and this yz450f. I'm pretty cheap so I don't know how that plays into the equation. What's the average rebuild cost of a 450f?

I would pop the radiator cap first to see if the coolant is low if it is very low I would pass and walk away. If he says hes maintaining air filter pop the seat and see if its clean and the same with the oil. I have seen a lot of bikes torched from low or no coolant 2t and 4t. A properly maintained 450 will go a lot longer than the book says before you have to rebuild. I ve owned a lot of Yam. 450 s and never had to rebuild one.

Are you riding a 2t or 4t now?

• YamBam13

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:25 AM

I would pop the radiator cap first to see if the coolant is low if it is very low I would pass and walk away. If he says hes maintaining air filter pop the seat and see if its clean and the same with the oil. I have seen a lot of bikes torched from low or no coolant 2t and 4t. A properly maintained 450 will go a lot longer than the book says before you have to rebuild. I ve owned a lot of Yam. 450 s and never had to rebuild one.Are you riding a 2t or 4t now?

Where is th radiator cap on a 4t? And you would just recommend draining a little bit of oil onto a rag of some sort to check for the color? As well as just pulling seat cover to check air filter?

I have owned yz 125 and only rode yz250 2 strokes, never owned and only test ridden 450's so I'm completely out of the loop here. He has it listed for $3500. Would you offer $2800?

• yzdaddy

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:39 AM

Where is th radiator cap on a 4t? And you would just recommend draining a little bit of oil onto a rag of some sort to check for the color? As well as just pulling seat cover to check air filter?

I have owned yz 125 and only rode yz250 2 strokes, never owned and only test ridden 450's so I'm completely out of the loop here. He has it listed for $3500. Would you offer $2800?

Ask the owner to pull over flow bolt for the oil and you can see the condtion of the oil. Get a drop of oil on your finger and look at it. I would offer 2800 but 3500 ( It its real clean ) is not to bad a price in my area not sure about Ohio. The 2t and 4t are to different riding styles. What part of Ohio are you in?

• yzdaddy

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:41 AM

Radiator cap is on the right side.

• YamBam13

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:42 AM

Ask the owner to pull over flow bolt for the oil and you can see the condtion of the oil. Get a drop of oil on your finger and look at it. I would offer 2800 but 3500 ( It its real clean ) is not to bad a price in my area not sure about Ohio. The 2t and 4t are to different riding styles. What part of Ohio are you in?

Yes I know, I have ridden 450f's and love the lug that they are capable of. I am from Youngstown area. How much does your average rebuild cost at a shop or if you do it yourself? I'm seeing about $800 for parts. Like I said before I am cheap, but I really like the 450f's just not a fan of losing money.. Especially when I go to sell lol

• yzdaddy

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:23 AM

If you stay on top of your maintenance these 450 s will go hundreds of hours without a rebuild. If you maintain that bike I wouldn't think you would loose much money.

• grayracer513

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:44 AM

Where is th radiator cap on a 4t?

Seriously?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzdaddy

Posted May 31, 2015 - 06:51 AM

Seriously?

• atomic410

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:38 AM

I have an 11 and paid 3g for it last fall. was told it had 50-60 hours on it when i bought it and the bike was really clean.  bought the yamaha plug in scanner and it had 100 or so hours on it.  I was freaking out that it would be a timebomb.  I rode it all fall and some.  At 130 hours the cam chain tensioner gave and the piston kissed the exhaust valves.  the inside looked amazingly clean, the jug was perfect and the piston even looked really good but got replaced as long as i was in it for 2 valves a cam chain and the tensioner. I've heard guys getting 200+ hours out of the lower ends.  seems pushing it but the bike looked like new inside.  

• grayracer513

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:59 AM

The lesson is to change your cam chain every year, and your oil often.

• YamBam13

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:30 AM

I have an 11 and paid 3g for it last fall. was told it had 50-60 hours on it when i bought it and the bike was really clean.  bought the yamaha plug in scanner and it had 100 or so hours on it.  I was freaking out that it would be a timebomb.  I rode it all fall and some.  At 130 hours the cam chain tensioner gave and the piston kissed the exhaust valves.  the inside looked amazingly clean, the jug was perfect and the piston even looked really good but got replaced as long as i was in it for 2 valves a cam chain and the tensioner. I've heard guys getting 200+ hours out of the lower ends.  seems pushing it but the bike looked like new inside.

Very cool. I'm going to have to pick me up one of those Yamaha plug in scanners... How much did the work cost you? Sounds like you were in pretty good shape.

• YamBam13

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:41 AM

What scanner did you buy by the way? Would you mind sending a link?

• rwebb35

Posted June 03, 2015 - 04:34 AM

600 hrs on my 11 yz! Original everything, except cam chain every year. Leak down test is good. Check valves, change oil and air filter and these things are bomber.

• rwebb35

Posted June 03, 2015 - 04:57 AM

Clutch and suspension maintained as needed. It has become my b bike(not sure why) but if the 14 proves to be as good as the 11 I will not be riding it much anymore.

• atomic410

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:19 AM

Very cool. I'm going to have to pick me up one of those Yamaha plug in scanners... How much did the work cost you? Sounds like you were in pretty good shape.

$700 with all the parts, I have a parts connection.  I'd guess around a g would be normal

What scanner did you buy by the way? Would you mind sending a link?

the yamaha gytr one bought from ebay

• atomic410

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:21 AM

600 hrs on my 11 yz! Original everything, except cam chain every year. Leak down test is good. Check valves, change oil and air filter and these things are bomber.

thats nuts.  wish i had the time to ride that much

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.