Bearing Squeak?

5 replies to this topic
  • Sanch

Posted February 18, 2002 - 09:39 AM

I noticed that my 99 400f makes a squeak, squeak noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear hub. I've never done the bearings before and I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how to identify if it's the brakes or the bearings, or even something else, before I start tearing it down. Also how hard is it to re-pack the bearings?

• Sanch

Posted April 15, 2002 - 09:25 PM

Guys, I'm all healed up from my cancer surgery and I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts on the squeek I was asking about. I don't see any wobble in the rear wheel, so I'm assuming it's in the bearing. Any guesses?

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 15, 2002 - 09:26 PM

either a bearring and lack of Greas or a mouse has made a home in there while you are recovering.

Glad to here your up and about, You doing Kemo

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_Cantrell

Posted April 15, 2002 - 04:19 PM

Sorry you had to go through that.

The squeak may be the brake. More likely than the bearings. I guess you could pull out the pads and roll it to be sure.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 16, 2002 - 12:46 AM

My rear brake is sqeaky as was my stock chain. Try this; lube the chain real good and grab the caliper with your hand and firmly press it to one side and then the other. This should loosen the pads. Now spin the wheel and see if the sqeak is gone. If it's there then try to figure out where it's coming from. If it sounds like the bearings then I would replace/lube them before your next ride, seized bearings during a ride cannot be pretty for you or your axel and hub.

• MOmilkman

Posted April 16, 2002 - 03:55 AM

If you got a 1999 model and the rear bearings have never been checked for grease, then there is about a 99.99% chance it is your bearings.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.