2014 WR450F info - mods - questions

11 replies to this topic
  • robwr450

Posted May 29, 2015 - 05:33 PM

Questions for the WR450F people. I recently got a 2014 WR450F. I've been a long time YZ450F rider.

I installed the Yamaha comp CDI, FMF  power bomb exhaust system and opened up the air box. Now what? 

1. Grey wire mod, is it still necessary and / or worth it with the new CDI?

2. Cam timing, whats your thoughts? Re-time the current exhaust cam vs switch to aftermarket (Hot Cams). I miss the YZ feel from the engine. 

3. Any other worth wild mods? 

Wr450F.jpg

• Slow and Jerky

Posted May 30, 2015 - 04:25 PM

Get a tuner, they are not cheap, but  it's worth it. You can change the  map very quickly and there  are tons of them out there. I went from an 06 YZ450 to the same bike you have. I have done the same mods you have but I changed the map and I love it. Just as much power as my YZ ever had but I can  control  it better.

• robwr450

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:52 AM

I got a tuner. Do you have any maps you can suggest? I have the maps from the yamaha GYTR site.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted May 31, 2015 - 02:28 PM

http://www.thumperta...1-wr-maps-only/

I am running #4, I have used it in the mountains and the desert and really like it. It's pretty mellow on the low end but tons of power if you want it.

• SH2424

Posted June 01, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Questions for the WR450F people. I recently got a 2014 WR450F. I've been a long time YZ450F rider.

I installed the Yamaha comp CDI, FMF power bomb exhaust system and opened up the air box. Now what?

1. Grey wire mod, is it still necessary and / or worth it with the new CDI?

2. Cam timing, whats your thoughts? Re-time the current exhaust cam vs switch to aftermarket (Hot Cams). I miss the YZ feel from the engine.

3. Any other worth wild mods?

attachicon.gifWr450F.jpg

Nice bike man, that's one good looking wr. Are you running an IMS tank?

• buhlockay

Posted June 01, 2015 - 08:48 PM

And what hand guards you runnin?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted June 02, 2015 - 01:31 PM

And what hand guards you runnin?

I have been running the Tusk Flex D's for years. They have held up to some pretty good hits and held up great.

• robwr450

Posted June 03, 2015 - 07:01 PM

Thanks, yes its an IMS tank 3.1 gallons and the hand guards are Fast way 

• Dualsportwr450

Posted June 03, 2015 - 10:53 PM

I am a huge wr fan. I have two. A 08 and a 2012. I have a plated 2012 and am in the process of plating the 08. That being said. You have fuel injection now. Way awesome as for the cams. If you bought the wr for being like a john Deere tractor keep the cams if you want yz change the cams. Keep in mind the gear box is different. Super low first and wide 5th. I geared mine at 14/48 I run fmf full exhaust with power bomb ecu upgrade and air box mod. I have no problem in the desert but imo you aren't gonna get the punch of a yz like you are used too. Too way different machines.... But far superior. Lol. Had to throw that jab at the honda guys.

• offrd beatr

Posted June 04, 2015 - 07:29 AM

I am a huge wr fan. I have two. A 08 and a 2012. I have a plated 2012 and am in the process of plating the 08. That being said. You have fuel injection now. Way awesome as for the cams. If you bought the wr for being like a john Deere tractor keep the cams if you want yz change the cams. Keep in mind the gear box is different. Super low first and wide 5th. I geared mine at 14/48 I run fmf full exhaust with power bomb ecu upgrade and air box mod. I have no problem in the desert but imo you aren't gonna get the punch of a yz like you are used too. Too way different machines.... But far superior. Lol. Had to throw that jab at the honda guys.

Super low first?? Stock gearing it will go over 20mph in first. That's not low.

• Dualsportwr450

Posted June 04, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Low I mean can lug first gear I can idle in first gear dragging the rear tire without giving any gas and the bike won't stall. That's what I mean by "low". And if you go 20 in first gear your tach is probably around 10000 rpm. Look at the gear ratios from the wr and the yz. The wrs second gear Is really close to the yz first gear. That's what I'm talking about. On the wr it's like a granny gear.

• robwr450

Posted June 04, 2015 - 05:49 PM

Does anyone know of a front number plate for the 2013-2014 WR450 without the head light? In other words a blank one like the YZ. I tend to be a roost / rock magnet and would like to run one when I know I don't need the light. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.