secret gizmo

4 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 08, 2001 - 02:25 AM

I dont know what it is but has anyone seen a close up shot of a factory yz426 with a funny looking canister attached to the exhaust header?? I think it might have something to do with crank-case pressure, but I'm not sure. If thats the case what advantage would there be in running it to the exhaust instead of straight to the atmosphere? If it makes such a differance in horsepower why hasn't anyone mentioned it? I might just think about it some more.

• Dave_VanBrocklin

Posted May 08, 2001 - 02:51 AM

EXUP valve, this is used to make power in a broader range, from what I've heard. R1's have them.The engines on the race bikes are also wet sump.

00 WZ400
01 Yamaha Raptor
99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
99 Yamaha Warrior

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 08, 2001 - 02:59 AM

It changes the amount of backpressure depending on the amount of flow creating the maximum amount of power throught the throttle range.

• paul_england

Posted May 09, 2001 - 07:43 AM

This idea was first put into mass production on the yamaha two stroke RD/RZ series of road bike, there were "bobbins" fitted in front of each exhaust manifold that lifted or fell depending on the RPM of the engine. This meant that the back pressure was cutomisable and in tune with the motor at any given rev range, giving more low/mid range power without any loss at the top.

On their four strokes they used the same theory (starting with the FZR1000 EXhaust Ultimate Power) except they put a valve/butterfly in the exhaust just after where the four downpipes meet.

• Harry_in_Oz

Posted May 09, 2001 - 03:06 PM

So how do we get one?

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.