Tubes

6 replies to this topic
  • Heywood

Posted December 06, 2000 - 05:11 PM

I recently patched a tube (rear) and found out later that I still had a slow leak.

If I wasn't such a cheap bastage, and bought a new tube in the first place, I wouldn't be facing another tire change!

Anyway, I went down to the shop and bought a Moose Heavy Duty Tube. It cost over twice as much as a standard tube ($18.95 US), but I am getting tired changing these damn tires so I figured that it would be worth it.

My question is, are these things worth the extra money?

My last flat was a severe pinch (there were some serious rocks at the Elsinore GP!) that probably would have flatted any tube.

Anyone have experience with these heavy duty tubes? Do they actually prevent flats?

• Clark_Mason

Posted December 06, 2000 - 05:30 PM

I'm running the Bridgstone super heavyduty tubes in my bike. The tubes almost weigh as much as tire and are much harder to put in. I have ridden on the same rear tube for the last 14 months without a flat or problem of any kind. I also run 14-15psi in the rear.

Clark

• imported_Scott_H

Posted December 06, 2000 - 08:55 PM

These tubes are worth every penny. I have also had over 18+ months of riding with no flats on the XR I use to ride and 7 months so far on my WR. I also run about 8 oz. of green slim in each tube for additional insurance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted December 07, 2000 - 07:18 AM

Heywood,

Of course I can’t say for sure but I think these tubes do prevent flats and run them despite the very high price, I figure it’s good insurance. I also run heavier ply Dunlop Desert A/T in the rear in races w/ no flats yet (knock wood) as well as a generous amount of slime.

One thing I will say is that they are a bit harder to install, especially the front, because they are so thick. Put some air in it after you install but before you bead the tire back on to prevent pinching, that fat tube gets in the way of a tire iron MUCH easier, and nobody wants to ruin a twenty dollar tube.

Since I ride in a lot of Mesquite and cactus I usually end up with slow leaks at both ends. As long as the bike doesn’t sit for extended periods Slime is very effective in keeping the air in. I just wait for the next needed tire change to replace/repair them in this case, and air up with a portable tank before each ride (I’m picky about air pressure in the sand and check it each ride anyway).

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 07, 2000 - 07:56 AM

Heywood, I use the Bridgestone HD tubes aswell. These things are great! They are however much heavier that a regular tube. I race alot of desert races and the last thing I want to do is fix a flat in the middle of nowhere, I cant remember the last I got a flat, probably 18months ago. If you put in a 695AT on with the HD tube (rear) you'll have an almost bullet-proof wheel. (and bloody knuckles). In my opinion life is too short to change tubes and tires..... Leave that job for the nice guy with the shop in your town.. See Ya, Dan

• Heywood

Posted December 07, 2000 - 10:30 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, I think I'll run these from now on. I might have to pick up some of that slime too.

I installed the tube last night and it was harder to install, but not too bad. I pulled it off without a pinch.

My van took a dive so the Blue Bomber is my ride to work for a couple days. Made it past a radar cop on my way in. Woooo Hooo! Thank god for the bicycle computer.
:)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted December 08, 2000 - 07:16 PM

I also use the HD Bridgestone's but I also like to throw another heavy duty Bridgestone (old one preferably) that is sliced around the I.D. for even more protection. I have never had a flat with this setup.

Moose tubes! :) Who needs em!

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.