Another newb with chain length question

2 replies to this topic
  • stevets

Posted May 29, 2015 - 11:57 AM

I've done the searches and everyone seems to say that the stock chain length is 114 with the stock 14/50 chain rings. I have a 114 chain ( I counted) with 14/50 rings( counted those too) and it seems to be a few links short. When I google new chain for 06 wr 450 with 14/50, I get a 120 length recommended.

What gives?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2015 - 12:27 PM

Push the axle all the way forward, run the chain around the rear sprocket as far as it will go, and see how many uncovered "U's" there are (places where the rollers sit).  Pick an even number and add that to the length of your current chain.  (i.e., 114+2=116)

• mch

Posted May 29, 2015 - 01:01 PM

I've done the searches and everyone seems to say that the stock chain length is 114 with the stock 14/50 chain rings. I have a 114 chain ( I counted) with 14/50 rings( counted those too) and it seems to be a few links short. When I google new chain for 06 wr 450 with 14/50, I get a 120 length recommended.

What gives?

Because they don't normally sell chains in the exact length to fit each bike.  They come longer than needed, and you have to take out the unneeded links.  Yes, grind the link and push the pin out, etc.  Make sure you don't make it too short!

Edited by mch, May 29, 2015 - 01:02 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.