How low can you go? Minimum seat height

3 replies to this topic
  • BikerSteve

Posted May 29, 2015 - 11:37 AM

I'm looking at a WR 450F for my wife.  We have a DT125, seat height 89cm (35") which she can ride, but is about the limit for her to control the bike when stopped.  Is it possible to get the WR seat down to that height, if the rear suspension is adjusted right down and one of those Kouba or similar links fitted?  Thanks for any advice, Steve Devereux.

• rah7777777

Posted May 29, 2015 - 06:06 PM

I had my suspension chopped 2.5" on my 06 WR450F. And I chopped the seat foam a bit too. Maybe another 3/4"?

I took her out to an off Road Park (Rocky Ridge) and never had any issues with bottoming out. Love it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SilvFx

Posted June 01, 2015 - 02:20 PM

I'm looking at a WR 450F for my wife.  We have a DT125, seat height 89cm (35") which she can ride, but is about the limit for her to control the bike when stopped.  Is it possible to get the WR seat down to that height, if the rear suspension is adjusted right down and one of those Kouba or similar links fitted?  Thanks for any advice, Steve Devereux.

uuhhhmmmm.....that's a lot of bike for your wife.  Unless she has some insane biking skills, serious upper body strength and is tall (which I am assuming she is not), I don't think it is a good idea.  Perhaps something along the lines of a 200cc two stroke or 250 4 stroke.  And you could lower the suspension, possibly use lower links and/or cut down some seat height.

• BikerSteve

Posted June 04, 2015 - 02:17 AM

Thanks for the feedback folks.  I did get the bike, like it a lot.  I went as low as the rear adjustment allows and it's now 87cm from ground to the lowest point on the saddle.  Which is impressive.  My wife is not too tall but she's very strong and fit.  She's had a quick ride on the bike and is fine; it's a light bike (about 40kg less than my TTR600 and not much more than my son's DT125).  We'll try it out on some easy forest trails we have locally here in SW France.

We won't have to buy any special links, however we'll take it to our local Yam dealer, owned by a guy who does a lot of off-road stuff and see if the front end should be lowered slightly as well if the handling would benefit from that.

This bike will go to Morocco along with my TTR and a Land Cruiser for support.  We have a frame on the tow bar that can take a bike up to 125 kgs which takes the WRF so that bike can go behind the car down to the ferry from Spain, I'll ride the 600 down.  We're going with our two sons so we can share riding and driving, this is the 2nd half of October just in case anyone might want to join in - there are so far about 20 bikers going and a couple of 4wd cars.  Email me at steve@drillers.com if possibly interested in coming along.

Cheers, Steve

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.