Broken damper rods?

13 replies to this topic
  • mo_sizlak

Posted May 29, 2015 - 09:50 AM

Hello community, been a member for a while.. This is my first post, and I appreciate any advice, support I can get. I have a 2006 wr450, and I love it! Drove out to the trail and noticed I had a leaking fork seal... Not a catastrophic failure... Anyways, as per the manual, I opted to bring the bike into a dealer after the weekend (did three short 3 hour rides in between performing my fatherly duties)for service. Long story, short. They called me today and told me they snapped both rods on the inner tubes ( damper rods?) why?
They figure someone over torqued them?
Why?
I've never touched them. I am the second owner. And now as in any time of great tragedy and loss, I'm left asking so many questions.
Why?
What may have caused this? Is it something I did? Did they drop the ball? Is it fair that I have to pay half the incurred $600repair cost? Is it ok that I'm angry? Will things ever be ok again? Can I blame this on the NDP?
Thanks in advance....

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:03 AM

The only thing that should be capable of stressing the damper rods in tension is topping out repeatedly without enough oil, and either without the top out springs in place or with them broken and collapsed.  Very unusual. Somewhat odd to hear that, too, since with both rods broken, there would have been nothing to prevent the fork from extending past their design limit, possibly damaging bushings and retainer rings, or even binding at full extension. 

Also, be aware that while Yamaha will only sell the complete cartridge, you can actually get the rods separately from KYB parts dealers such as SMART Performance or Suspension Direct.  There would be extra labor involved compared to switching out the whole cartridge, but the difference in the parts total should more than make up for it.

• mo_sizlak

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:22 AM

They broke both rods... When the were unscrewing the cap from the rod, the rods twisted and snapped... I only ride a few hours with a leaking seal... There should have been oil, and It was a slow technical ride. Old farts like me don't bottom out the shocks too often.... So they are having the rods repaired, and want to charge me half of those repairs...

• mo_sizlak

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Is it Common for these to snap when removing the cap?

• mch

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:47 AM

I would think you could also find some used forks on e-bay for a better price.  I haven't worked on that specific model, but I'd say "No" that is not normal to snap rods from unscrewing the caps.  I would think you would strip a nut before the rod snapped.

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:53 AM

It's not common for them to snap at all, actually. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:57 AM

Old farts like me don't bottom out the shocks too often....

TOPPING out, is where the stress would come in, not bottoming.

And be careful how you talk about "old farts".... :cool:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mo_sizlak

Posted May 29, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the input fellas... Think I'll have a chat with the shop... Maybe I can get out paying for the repairs... I am concerned that the repairing of these rods may have an effect on the overall integrity of my front suspension... I mean, it's a fairly important pat of the bike, I use it almost every time I ride ;)..... They told me they had to outsource work partly ... Welding and threading? Something like that... Maybe some lift machining... Not too sure... But would you guys think this is something I should be concerned about?

• grayracer513

Posted May 29, 2015 - 02:38 PM

I'm curious as to exactly what "Repair" they have in mind.  If they intend to cut off and re-thread the rods, that will shorten them by 3/4" or so, and thereby shorten your suspension travel by that admittedly small amount, and I personally would not want that done, especially not on my dime. 

The right way to handle it is to replace the broken damper rods with new ones.  It's just not so hard that it can't be done.

Here's the basic problem: I don't know how it works in Canada, but in the Glorious People's Democratik Republik of Kalifornia (I'm not bitter), the question is this: The rods were broken by whom?  Who was working on the bike when the rods broke, you, or the shop techs?  Uh-huh, then the shop pays for it, period.  They can blame it on anything they want, but the guy turning the wrench is ultimately responsible.

• toten

Posted May 29, 2015 - 05:03 PM

I'd be surprised if it's always the shop's responsibility, at least if they claim it wasn't due to their misconduct. For example, broken spark plugs on 3V Fords...

• mo_sizlak

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:25 PM

Hey guys, here's a quick update. They got my bike repaired for the weekend as they promised. They had the rods repaired and I agreed to pay half. Their theory of the caps being over torqued, really is the only thing that makes sense...one of them... Maybe a clumsy mechanic... But both... That's strange... Thoughts??

It is a hollow piece of aluminum so... It makes sense. I didnt really wanna sit around and argue about it cause I do believe it was noones fault. (Except whoever did the fork seals before I got the bike) Long story is just wanted Little Big Blue feeling better so we could get back out there and ride...

I'll talk to the service guy tomorrow and try and get some more detail as to exactly how they rebuilt the rods, and share with you guys...they did build to ensure they were the same as before.. But I'll try and get more info...
These guys are pros and made a big effort to meet the service promises they made. I paid half but they saved me from waiting around For $$$ worth of back ordered parts... I give them props for that. Great customer service, (as well as torquing EVERYTHING to factory specs) goes a long way IMO.

• mch

Posted May 31, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Glad to hear it is fixed.  BY chance did they find any sign of thread locker like Loc-tite?  Maybe someone accidentally used permanent thread locker?  

• MJP68

Posted May 31, 2015 - 10:27 PM

Hey guys, here's a quick update. They got my bike repaired for the weekend as they promised. They had the rods repaired and I agreed to pay half. Their theory of the caps being over torqued, really is the only thing that makes sense...one of them... Maybe a clumsy mechanic... But both... That's strange... Thoughts??

It is a hollow piece of aluminum so... It makes sense. I didnt really wanna sit around and argue about it cause I do believe it was noones fault. (Except whoever did the fork seals before I got the bike) Long story is just wanted Little Big Blue feeling better so we could get back out there and ride...

I'll talk to the service guy tomorrow and try and get some more detail as to exactly how they rebuilt the rods, and share with you guys...they did build to ensure they were the same as before.. But I'll try and get more info...
These guys are pros and made a big effort to meet the service promises they made. I paid half but they saved me from waiting around For $$$ worth of back ordered parts... I give them props for that. Great customer service, (as well as torquing EVERYTHING to factory specs) goes a long way IMO.

As long as you are happy that's fine.
any pics of the broken parts? every part has a story

• mo_sizlak

Posted June 01, 2015 - 08:54 PM

I'll ask about the thread lock... I asked them to take pics, but I'm not sure if they did or not...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.