GOLD VALVE HELP

9 replies to this topic
  • AIRJORDAN

Posted February 18, 2002 - 05:42 AM

Yesterday while installing my gold valve I tore the band that wraps around the oring on the GV while trying to reassemeble the shock body.(JACKASS)I'm trying to get a new one (ASAP)since I'm leaving for florida on wednesday. Does anyone have one of these???? 2001 426 I live in new jersey.

Thanks AIRJORDAN

• DaveJ

Posted February 18, 2002 - 10:09 PM

AJ,

Most good auto parts stores carry o-ring kits that contain o-rings of many shapes and sizes.

I'm sure you could get one that would match your need.

Another source is the plumbing section of the local hardware store. They too usually have a large selection of o-rings.

If not, contact Race-Tech directly and have them Fed-Ex one out to you.

DaveJ

• AIRJORDAN

Posted February 18, 2002 - 11:13 AM

This is not a oring. This is some type of teflon coated band. It goes over the oring thats on the gold valve. I already tried RT they do not have this part.in stock!(WHATS UP WITH THAT)

Dave thanks for trying.

• DaveJ

Posted February 18, 2002 - 11:33 AM

AJ,

I have plenty of Gold Valve stuff laying about the garage.

Although I'm still not sure what you are talking about, I may have what you need.

If you REALLY need this part, give me a call on my cell phone. 408-406-2089.

DaveJ

• Chris_Slade

Posted February 18, 2002 - 12:04 PM

Most KYB (all?) shocks have around the main piston, a teflon (i believe) coated metal band - simmilar to the teflon coated metal split sleeves that go in your shocks. This is what rides up and down inside the shock body, if I am not mistaken.
Did the kit come with a sleeve, or was that the stock sleeve being re-used on the gold valve?
If it came in the kit, you could always just re-install the stock valve for now. Call race-tech too, they will send you a new one ASAP, just give em a few bucks! I got sent a shim for my fork gold valves in 3 days, priority mail. I dealt with Carter, he seems like a good enough fella, but I'm sure they would all do the same.
Race Tech
1-909-279-6655

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motoman393

Posted February 18, 2002 - 02:09 PM

Are you talking about the grayish colored band that goes around the gold valve in the shock? If so how did you rip that...installing the shaft back into the shock body? I cant believe RT doesnt have those in stock! Good Luck,

Garrett

• AIRJORDAN

Posted February 18, 2002 - 02:57 PM

Garrett

Yes that is what i'm talking about. I don't know what happened. I was being careful that the band was seated properly. But the GV entered the shock body angled so I had to remove it. I think this is when that band got damaged. RT said i could probably still use it until i get a new one. I just hate to do things halfass.(I could kick myself for this one) A.J.

• MX_Tuner

Posted February 19, 2002 - 07:46 AM

The part should be on the way. I got it all ready to go and the wife took it by the post office this morning with strict instructions to get it there overnight.

• AIRJORDAN

Posted February 20, 2002 - 02:28 PM

MXTUNER(u da man)
Received that part 11:30 am. Job completed. I will test ride in the morning. I will let you
know how it worked. I will send check ASAP!

I searched every where for this part including race tech and nobody had this part. Mxtuner saved my vacation. Leaving for florida tomorrow.

THANKS MXTUNER (I CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!)

• MX_Tuner

Posted February 21, 2002 - 05:10 AM

Glad it worked out. Have a great vacation!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.