Starting a cold yz450f by hand

9 replies to this topic
  • Rettich333

Posted May 27, 2015 - 09:40 AM

I made this Video yesterday at around 12°C in Germany

what do you think ? quite normal for Yamaha

Edited by Rettich333, May 27, 2015 - 09:54 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2015 - 09:49 AM

Due to the automatic compression release, and maybe a bit of wear, it's quite possible.  Also an excellent way to end up wearing a cast on your wrist for 6 weeks. 

Mine has started before while I was just rolling the engine over for priming or positioning the crank. 

• cpetz24

Posted May 27, 2015 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, not a good idea, even if you can.  I did this one time on an XR80.  99% of the time I could just roll it over by hand and it would start.  I mean, it was an 80 cc bike, right?  Did it all the time.  One day, I reached over to do this after an oil change, for what ever reason it kicked back, and as I pulled my hand back it was covered in blood.  Needless to say, I was missing my entire finger print on my ring finger.   

And that was the last time I did that.  I would never think of doing this on a 450.  Not a good idea.  

• grayracer513

Posted May 27, 2015 - 10:23 AM

You're taking something of a chance even starting them in street shoes.  My '03 was in a bad mood one day and came close to breaking my foot right through my Alpinestars.  They can be really fierce.

• soulsedg3

Posted May 27, 2015 - 01:20 PM

You're taking something of a chance even starting them in street shoes.  My '03 was in a bad mood one day and came close to breaking my foot right through my Alpinestars.  They can be really fierce.

LOL. i can vouch for this.   it hurts like a mofo when it kicks....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 03yzf450-kuke

Posted May 27, 2015 - 03:13 PM

I dont understand why you would want to start it with your hand unless your foot was broken in which case you prolly shouldnt be riding

• grayracer513

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:23 AM

Focus.  He's bringing up the fact that he can start it by hand as a possible indication that there's something wrong with it.  The compression might be a little low, but it obviously runs pretty well or it wouldn't be possible.

• Rettich333

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:56 AM

checked the compression last weekend.   187 psi is quite good i think.

of course checked compression kicking by food  :thumbsup:

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 28, 2015 - 12:17 PM

checked the compression last weekend. 187 psi is quite good i think.
of course checked compression kicking by food :thumbsup:

So first you fire her up with bare hand and next time with food. What did you use, sausage perhaps?

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted May 28, 2015 - 02:03 PM

Prolly nothin wrong dude auto decomp is a beautiful thing

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.