running fine one min now wont start

13 replies to this topic
  • cky450mm

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:32 PM

just got a 05 wr450 on friday. it was running fine earlier today then i thought i would adjust the fuel and idle screw. well i messed everything up. it backfired then when ipulled the clutch it stalled, i cant kick it or bump it. ive been trying for over an hr to get it to work but i think i made it worse. i have no ideal were to start. i believe the fuel screw was around2 turns out. i have no ideal were to set the idle screw as a starting point. please help me guys

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:09 PM

Turn the idle screw in. Doesn't matter how much, but at least where you thought is was AND more...

Put the fuel screw at 1.5-2.0 turns out.

Turn off the gas

Turn off the ignition

Open the throttle wide open and leave it there, kicking the motor through at least a dozen times, to clear the cylinder.

Turn everything back on.

Now twist the throttle once, and leave it closed, and start it......., but the idle will be high. Lower it if it insanely high.

Once warm, lower the idle as low as you can, and adjust the fuel screw for the highest idle you can. If too high, lower with the idle screw, and turn the fuel screw again searching for highest smoothest idle.

• cky450mm

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Turn the idle screw in. Doesn't matter how much, but at least where you thought is was AND more...

Put the fuel screw at 1.5-2.0 turns out.

Turn off the gas

Turn off the ignition

Open the throttle wide open and leave it there, kicking the motor through at least a dozen times, to clear the cylinder.

Turn everything back on.

Now twist the throttle once, and leave it closed, and start it......., but the idle will be high. Lower it if it insanely high.

Once warm, lower the idle as low as you can, and adjust the fuel screw for the highest idle you can. If too high, lower with the idle screw, and turn the fuel screw again searching for highest smoothe

going to go try this.let you know i 5 min

• cky450mm

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:43 PM

so i did everything you said and it didnt work. so i opened up the air box and put a squirt of carb cleaner in it. it started up on the 2nd kick. it had arough idle i tried to adjust it but as soon as i hit the gas it stalled. whatdo you think that could mean? i hat the idle screw almost all the way turned in and the fule screw about 2 out.

• William1

Posted May 27, 2015 - 03:24 AM

Never fix what is not broken

Keep good notes regarding what you are doing. Never just turn adjusting screws without writing down EXACTLY how much and what direction you went.

Do not service anything until after you have read about and fully understand what you are doing.

Is the fuel fresh?

First, read your service manual, get familiar with the carb so you know where the jets and adjustment points are.

Next, Reset the fuel mix screw (assuming you did actually adjust it) It is the one on the bottom of the carb as Krannie says.

If you messed with the idle speed knob, you need to get it back in the ball park. To do so, you must be able to peer into the carb mouth and the gap of the slide at idle should be about 3/64" Not exact, but close. You do not want to see no gap nor do you want to see a 1/4" one. Just a small gap.

You may too, of fouled a spark plug. Once you have the fuel screw and idle speed know 'baselined', put the new plug in and get the bike running. Ride it for 15 minutes. Not in the drive way or simply idling, but really ride it. It must be fully heated up. Then slowly lower the idle SPEED until the bike barely idles. Then turn the fuel screw for the fastest and strongest/smoothest sounding idle. Then set the idle speed to appx. 1,850.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 27, 2015 - 05:24 AM

Your pilot jet is probably clogged

Replace it

It will not accept throttle till warmed up for 2+ minutes

It will take some more understanding and work before you get it to be a simple bike to ride and start

• cky450mm

Posted May 27, 2015 - 11:30 AM

Never fix what is not broken
Keep good notes regarding what you are doing. Never just turn adjusting screws without writing down EXACTLY how much and what direction you went.
Do not service anything until after you have read about and fully understand what you are doing.

Is the fuel fresh?
First, read your service manual, get familiar with the carb so you know where the jets and adjustment points are.
Next, Reset the fuel mix screw (assuming you did actually adjust it) It is the one on the bottom of the carb as Krannie says.
If you messed with the idle speed knob, you need to get it back in the ball park. To do so, you must be able to peer into the carb mouth and the gap of the slide at idle should be about 3/64" Not exact, but close. You do not want to see no gap nor do you want to see a 1/4" one. Just a small gap.

You may too, of fouled a spark plug. Once you have the fuel screw and idle speed know 'baselined', put the new plug in and get the bike running. Ride it for 15 minutes. Not in the drive way or simply idling, but really ride it. It must be fully heated up. Then slowly lower the idle SPEED until the bike barely idles. Then turn the fuel screw for the fastest and strongest/smoothest sounding idle. Then set the idle speed to appx. 1,850.

I have fresh Fuel in it. Like I said the bike was starting up with one kick and running good. The only reason I messed with anything was because it had a mid throttle sputter that I was try I fix but I now know the fuel screw has nothing to do with that.
I'm wondring why it will start with a squirt carb cleaner. Does that tell you guys it's 2 lean or rich??? Or that if I hit the throttle it stalls.

Edited by William1, May 27, 2015 - 12:48 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cky450mm

Posted May 27, 2015 - 11:40 AM

To do so, you must be able to peer into the carb mouth and the gap of the slide at idle should be about 3/64" Not exact, but close. You do not want to see no gap nor do you want to see a 1/4" one. Just a small gap.

What exactly do you mean by this???

• William1

Posted May 27, 2015 - 12:47 PM

You remove the airboot and peer in the carb. I assume you really screwed up the adjustment and need to get back somewhere close to stock.

• William1

Posted May 27, 2015 - 12:49 PM

I have fresh Fuel in it. Like I said the bike was starting up with one kick and running good. The only reason I messed with anything was because it had a mid throttle sputter that I was try I fix but I now know the fuel screw has nothing to do with that.
I'm wondring why it will start with a squirt carb cleaner. Does that tell you guys it's 2 lean or rich??? Or that if I hit the throttle it stalls.

You put the idle adjustments (speed and fuel mix) way out of wack, from what I can decipher from your original post.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 27, 2015 - 03:16 PM

These little 'tidbits' of info aren't helping us help you.

Use defined terms and be specific.

If you don't know your own jetting, it's time to figure it out now...

• BlueBeast400

Posted May 27, 2015 - 06:17 PM

If you get it started and it dies when given throttle then your pilot jet is clogged. That happened to me. Probably time to get a jet kit.

• cky450mm

Posted May 27, 2015 - 06:41 PM

so you guys ready to laugh or what!?!?!?!?!? it was out of gas lol!!! not only that but the fuel line was twisted 180dg!!! AND... there was a huge cut in the line!!! i have no ideal how any of this happened. the bike had gas when i was riding it and it dying had nothing with the adjustments that i had made. i got a new fuel line, put gas in it and it kicked right over.

i just bought the bike on friday and it rode fine when i was there. this was the first time i was able to test it out (at home) since i got it and it all pretty much happened at once and caught me way off guard. the fuel line had a black protective sleeve over it. thats where the twist and cut was at. it must have had a slow leak or something.  :banghead:  :goofy:  :banghead:  :goofy:

• BlueBeast400

Posted May 27, 2015 - 08:38 PM

so you guys ready to laugh or what!?!?!?!?!? it was out of gas lol!!! not only that but the fuel line was twisted 180dg!!! AND... there was a huge cut in the line!!! i have no ideal how any of this happened. the bike had gas when i was riding it and it dying had nothing with the adjustments that i had made. i got a new fuel line, put gas in it and it kicked right over.

i just bought the bike on friday and it rode fine when i was there. this was the first time i was able to test it out (at home) since i got it and it all pretty much happened at once and caught me way off guard. the fuel line had a black protective sleeve over it. thats where the twist and cut was at. it must have had a slow leak or something.  :banghead:  :goofy:  :banghead:  :goofy:

Glad you figured it out and it was an easy fix.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.