14 Yz450. What can I do to smooth the power out ?

55 replies to this topic
  • Envisage

Posted June 24, 2015 - 05:13 PM

Do you have an upgraded exhaust?And also plugging up the muffler a little bit gives you more bottom and a smother hit to get to the top end. I my self love bottom end more than anything and with plugging it up you get more bottom and a smother transaction to mid all the way up to top. You lose horse power but not enough to feel.

Upgraded exhaust ?, meaning an aft market one, or stock ?

How have you "plugged up" your muffler ?

• Tylermiller17

Posted June 24, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Yes aft market and it's hard to explain my mechanic did it for me. There is a product that you can buy that kinda looks like a spark arrester but a little thicker.

• Tylermiller17

Posted June 24, 2015 - 05:51 PM

I guess it's not necessarily "plugged up" just the exhaust is basically over packed. It's kind of like having a aft market exhaust that is underpowered or a stalk exhaust that is a bit over powered. Perfectly placed in between. And this wasn't my bike. It was my friends bike actually. Just we share the mechanic

• wes513v

Posted June 24, 2015 - 05:52 PM

Yes aft market and it's hard to explain my mechanic did it for me. There is a product that you can buy that kinda looks like a spark arrester but a little thicker.

Umm, a picture is worth a thousand words. That way you don't have to describe it.

• Tylermiller17

Posted June 24, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Umm, a picture is worth a thousand words. That way you don't have to describe it.

I don't have a pic on my phone but I can ask him if he has a pic

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Do you have an upgraded exhaust?And also plugging up the muffler a little bit gives you more bottom and a smother hit to get to the top end. I my self love bottom end more than anything and with plugging it up you get more bottom and a smother transaction to mid all the way up to top. You lose horse power but not enough to feel.

Restricting the exhaust WILL NOT increase low end power, or power anywhere else.  It may increase engine operating temperature, however.

• Tylermiller17

Posted June 25, 2015 - 07:40 AM

Restricting the exhaust WILL NOT increase low end power, or power anywhere else. It may increase engine operating temperature, however.

It smoothed out the power though and he said he felt power in the bottom increase a little bit but maybe not, I'm no expert on his bike

• grayracer513

Posted June 25, 2015 - 08:42 AM

"Smoothing out" the power usually involves reducing the aggressiveness with which the power is delivered, and no matter how you look at that, it almost always amounts to a reduction.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tylermiller17

Posted June 25, 2015 - 10:15 AM

"Smoothing out" the power usually involves reducing the aggressiveness with which the power is delivered, and no matter how you look at that, it almost always amounts to a reduction.

Yeah you have a point. Thanks

• Monk

Posted June 27, 2015 - 05:31 PM

Try this map:

Fuel IG
+5 +6 +2 0 0 0
+5 +6 +4 0 -4 0
+5 +6 +3 -3 -3 -1

I raced with this map two weeks ago.
I did not stall once.
The power was noticeably smoother.
It started more easily/consistently.

The map was from an Australian site; I googled images of 2015 maps, and this popped up.
Enjoy.

I put two practices and 1 race using this map. Wayyyy to rich!

• 15thumper

Posted June 27, 2015 - 07:15 PM

Wow you guys are just dumping fuel retarding timing to make the bike a dog, what you call smoothie is more like you just lost a ton of hp you guys should just sell your bikes and get a 250 really try +10 fuel and -10 timing I bet you will love how SMOOTHE it is

• CG118

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Kx06,

Have you found a way to smooth the power?

• Monk

Posted June 28, 2015 - 10:51 AM

Wow you guys are just dumping fuel retarding timing to make the bike a dog, what you call smoothie is more like you just lost a ton of hp you guys should just sell your bikes and get a 250 really try +10 fuel and -10 timing I bet you will love how SMOOTHE it is

Not really. I like to try different things, it broadens my knowledge on setup and what works vs what doesn't. Just because I try something doesn't mean I stick with it. I also like to give things a fair shakedown rather then base my opinion on 10min of riding.

If that's how you want to operate and ride the best 'you' know, then good on you, but don't hack on people who choose to try other things...

• CG118

Posted June 28, 2015 - 06:06 PM

Well put Monk.

I agree that it is really rich. It also feels like it turned the bike into a YZ400, like it lost 5 HP or so. But MAN is it controllable. I worked on starts yesterday for an hour--good stuff-----I can't wait to line up for the next race.

• kx06

Posted June 30, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Kx06,

Have you found a way to smooth the power?

I went with the gradual response map from the GYTR website. https://www.shopyama...rtunerchart.pdf

I've been riding with it for a month now and love it

Edited by kx06, June 30, 2015 - 07:20 PM.

• CG118

Posted July 01, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Awesome. Glad you got it working the way you like it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.