The x-ring experience

10 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted February 17, 2002 - 10:36 PM

Had my first ride with the x-ring chain. I'm sold on it performance wise! I added the chain and a new OEM chain block (which was much thicker than the original that was on the bike) and first thing I noticed was almost no chain slap and the chain itself was much MUCH quieter than my old chain. No more sqeaky metal sounds after 30 min of riding! I did not notice any drag at all, if anything there was less drag than with my old worn out regular chain.

Question for you long time x-ring guys. After about 1.5 hours of MX riding, I did notice that it stretched a bit. I set it to 1.75" of slack before I started the day, and at the end of the day the slack was about 2". My old chain would have stretched at least .5" so I'm happy, but should I expect it to stretch less after the initial use?

• scottzx7rr

Posted February 17, 2002 - 12:46 PM

I only had to adjust my chain once for the initial break-in stretch. That was the only time that mine needed any adjustments. I checked it before, during and after each ride.

• 426guy

Posted February 17, 2002 - 01:27 PM

what type of x-ring chain did you buy??

• Dan_YZF

Posted February 17, 2002 - 02:57 PM

Sirthumpalot,

I'm with scott on that, it'll probably be the only time you need to adjust you chain for stretching reason.
These chains (DID VM) are well worth the initial xtra bucks spent

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 17, 2002 - 04:45 PM

426guy,

It is aDID ERV2. They tell me at the bike shop that it's the strongest one that DID makes and that they use it for 520 conversions on 1100cc superbikes (to save weight over the original size on those bikes). I paid $140 which is probably a little high but I wanted it right away and they had it on the shelf. :) A word of warning, it comes with a rivet type master link (better but you need a special tool to install it) instead of a clip type.

Hopefully I'll have the same luck as you guys as far as stretch goes. If it keeps working like it did on the first ride then it's definitely worth the extra bucks to me!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • scottzx7rr

Posted February 17, 2002 - 06:09 PM

I just sold my bike a year after installing the chain with only the one adjustment. This is with atleast 1 ride a week during that time. I loved my DID. When I am in need of a new chain I will replace the current regina O-Ring with another X-Ring.

• MikeOK

Posted February 17, 2002 - 07:44 PM

Same for me. I think the first tightening is the result of all that gooie grease working it's way out of the chain. I'm not sure what they put on new chains but I haven't been able to find anything that cut it. Mine hasn't need another tighten since the first one.

• 426guy

Posted February 17, 2002 - 08:09 PM

1 silly question......
is a x-chain the same as a o-ring chain???
or are they different???
thanks

• fershy

Posted February 17, 2002 - 08:32 PM

x ring is essentially the same as an o-ring except that the rubber " o-ring" seal has extra grooves in it to keep the lubrication inside the chain. If you were to look at a cross section of the "o ring" it would look more like an "x ring" Apparently the additional sealing surfaces act to lessen friction against the outter plates and ensure the inner lube does not escape.
fershy

• ben_suhard

Posted February 18, 2002 - 04:52 AM

Yeah, the X-ring is an o-ring designed for less friction.

I'd like to add that the o-ring and x-ring chains last longer because they don't let dirt in(obviously). When standard chains 'stretch', the internals of the links are actually getting chewed out by the dirt, they get worn and give the impression that the metal has stretched.

Sorry if everyone already knows this, is there maybe just one person who didn't know?

• tuck

Posted February 19, 2002 - 10:20 PM

One important thing to remember,when using a high quality chain that rarely needs adjustment is to use grease or anti-sieze on the adjuster bolts,(I learned the hard way).I enjoy working on my bike,but... drilling and tapping my swing arm after the bolts siezed was not my idea of fun.

[ February 19, 2002: Message edited by: tuck ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.