wr 450

14 replies to this topic
  • mitchbob

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:09 AM

Just bought a 2004 wr450 and am sick do not like it, runs like crap unless you are really flogging it, hard to start and slobbers around and dies at idle.

Have bought other bikes over the phone from other inmates on adv all were great, not so much this time. My question, will these things start easy and idle and run along fine at lower rpm if things are right ? Dont mind doing a few small things that are not to expensive if that will fix the prob. other wise i will just sell it. I want a bike for dirt roads and paved about 50/50.  Any thoughts at all would be great.

• stevethe

Posted May 23, 2015 - 11:57 AM

It sounds like it was sitting for a bit. The best thing to do is put a new pilot jet in it and try it.

• buhlockay

Posted May 23, 2015 - 12:40 PM

It sounds like it was sitting for a bit. The best thing to do is put a new pilot jet in it and try it.

You will be able to save some money by cleaning the carb and jets with some carb cleaner and an air compressor. Like stevethe said, bike probably sat for a minute and the gas in the carb deteriorated.

• mitchbob

Posted May 23, 2015 - 01:21 PM

My track record fixing carbs is not very good cant say i have ever put one back together and had an improvement. but i can take it off and blow carb cleaner through all the ports. so this motor can be made to idle and run smooth at lower rpm?

• stevethe

Posted May 23, 2015 - 03:01 PM

My track record fixing carbs is not very good cant say i have ever put one back together and had an improvement. but i can take it off and blow carb cleaner through all the ports. so this motor can be made to idle and run smooth at lower rpm?

If the pilot jet is plugged up somewhat many times carb cleaner doesn't work. They make tiny brushes or just buy a new one.

• condor74

Posted May 23, 2015 - 03:22 PM

What is it doing exactly.  Dialed in this bike will run smooth with lots of power.  Very user friendly power.  I have an 06 and love it.  As mentioned above, the most likely culprit is a plugged pilot jet.  They are very small and are the first to plug up when sitting.  Sometimes you can clean them but most of the time it is better to just replace.  I was able to clean the last one I worked on.  What I did is remove the carb and clean it out.  Removed the pilot jet and used a single bristle from my bbq brush and worked it like a tattoo gun into the pilot jet until it went through.  After that I cleaned every thing with carb cleaner.  Ran great after that.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 23, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Time to do some service.........

All bikes need maintenence, new or old.

The WR is easy to fix, but the carb is a pain to work on, so once done, keep your gas treated at all time for ethanol poisining, and drain the float bowl when you park it for over a few weeks.

Then you won't have to touch it for years.

Search for 'jetting' and 'won't start without the choke' threads for details.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mitchbob

Posted May 24, 2015 - 02:57 AM

Thanks for the advice, I will get after the carb. Should I order a whole new kit they dont seem to be to pricie. Also where do you get the shims for the valve adjustment without buying a whole assortment,   Once again thanks for the education

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 24, 2015 - 05:45 AM

Don't buy a 'rebuild kit' for the carb, as it will not provide the parts you typically need.

If the bike has high hours (250+) then you should focus on:

- Slide plate seal (stock)

- Needle jet (stock)

- Float needle (stock)

- Fuel screw and oring (R&D racing remote version)

- Hot start nut (Zip Ty or similar- replaces cheap plastic one that always cracks)

- Clean and polish hot start and choke plungers and cavity from corrosion

- Re -jet carb based on state of tune: how much air box is opened and type of pipe; we can help you with exact parts for this

- unplug the TPS at it's harness and leave it unplugged (there is an ignition flaw in the WR that is expensive to fix, and this is the cheap-o work-around)

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

• mitchbob

Posted May 24, 2015 - 11:13 AM

Thanks

• ttreewalkerr

Posted May 24, 2015 - 04:20 PM

I clean a carb with cleaner and my secret is,,,,,,,,,,,, smallest guitar string,,,,,, it fits in all the small port holes...

• stevethe

Posted May 24, 2015 - 05:33 PM

Usually you have to buy the Hot cam shim kit. The dealers price for a few shims could be the same.
I used to exchange them in the service department but they don't do it any more.

• mitchbob

Posted May 25, 2015 - 02:31 AM

where is the best place to buy the carb jets? again thanks for the reply's starting to get a mental pic on the fix thanks to you guys and a few utube vidieos

• stevethe

Posted May 25, 2015 - 04:32 AM

where is the best place to buy the carb jets? again thanks for the reply's starting to get a mental pic on the fix thanks to you guys and a few utube vidieos

Kehin carb jets can be obtained from your dealer or online. Just Goggle Kehin carb jets then shopping.

• cb0y1

Posted May 25, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Or use a jd jet kit, they come with pilot jets and the jetting recommendations in the instructions are pretty good

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.