18 inch Rear Wheel on Front for Motard?

7 replies to this topic
  • JPDenny

Posted May 22, 2015 - 09:42 AM

I am the proud owner of an '05 WR450, right now it's set up as a street legal Dual Sport, but I've got the itch to try out some super moto with the OSB Supermoto boys in Oklahoma.  I've been looking at buying 17 inch wheels, but damn!! that's quite a bit of cash.  I have a second set of stock wheels with Dirt tires mounted right now, Does anyone know if I can lace the rear 18 inch wheel to the front hub?

I looked pretty closely at both wheels, they seem to have the same pattern (2 spokes crossing) If I can just pay for wheel lacing and 2 tires that would be about a 1/4 of the price of new wheel sets.  Thoughts?

• toten

Posted May 22, 2015 - 12:42 PM

I think you can do it but the tire selection is nowhere near as good. A friend had an XR400 set up that way, it was ok. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 22, 2015 - 03:37 PM

You would want to lace a rear rim and spokes to the stock front hub

• JPDenny

Posted May 24, 2015 - 01:54 PM

Thank you guys, I will post pics, I'm also rebuilding the carb with a Moose rebuild kit, once that is complete, the reassembly and Motard conversion will begin!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted May 26, 2015 - 06:08 AM

I'd keep my eyes open for a nice used set of 17s, they can often be had pretty cheap. http://sfbay.craigsl...5032671652.htmlif I didn't already have 2 sets I'd buy those.

• JPDenny

Posted May 26, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Those do look nice, and no experimenting with lacing & trueing a wheel!!  

Got the Carb rebuilt and No extra parts left over!!!  sweet!!  Now to reassemble the bike and see if she starts.....

• stevethe

Posted May 26, 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'd keep my eyes open for a nice used set of 17s, they can often be had pretty cheap. http://sfbay.craigsl...5032671652.htmlif I didn't already have 2 sets I'd buy those.

Beautiful set of wheels, nice find.

Those do look nice, and no experimenting with lacing & trueing a wheel!!  
Got the Carb rebuilt and No extra parts left over!!!  sweet!!  Now to reassemble the bike and see if she starts.....

Ditch the bougus 18" wheels and go for the real deal.

• runamuckr

Posted June 11, 2015 - 04:17 PM

I'm also interested in lacing an 18 inch rear on my front hub of my 01 wr 426. I'll be following this closely. Let us know how it works!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.