chain/sprocket questions

2 replies to this topic
  • BlueDragon

Posted February 18, 2004 - 02:45 PM

O.K TT's :D I guess now that tax season is here I can spend a little money for me, myself and I so I think it's time to upgrade the chain/sprockets. I need some help.
1)Whats the difference between an o-ring chain and non-o-ring chain besides the fact of the o-rings? :D I do alot of trail riding so which would be better?
2)I don't know if I should change my gear ratio? :) I would like a little more acceleration so would I go up in back or down in front or the other way around? :D

Could you guys give me some feedback :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted February 18, 2004 - 04:34 PM

The orings keep the lube inside the rollers and extend the life of the chain....I'd recommend one to everyone that rides, unless you get the stuff free.

For quicker acceleration a larger rear sprocket is better, a smaller front will increase the rate your chain wears, especially 12 tooth or less. The larger rear will also shorten the wheelbase a little and help quicken your steering.

• Gadsen

Posted February 18, 2004 - 05:00 PM

The oring keeps debris out and lube in the links. Any trail rider needs an oring chain. Thye do rob a small amount of horsies, so racers dont use them. If dirt gets under the link, it grinds on the pins, once the pin has a wear spot in it, its likely to break there. Ever have a chain that broke? Notice even if you added a link to get it back together, it just keep breaking? The pins are full of wear areas, also known as stress risers. Its why I replace a chain if it ever breaks. Exception would be if the master link just came apart. As for teeth on the sprocket, the smaller up front will get you "out of the hole quicker", but it creates more wear by creating a sharper turn, also it "pulls the chain down" which can wear the top swing arm slider quicker and not to mention, one less tooth or two up front, creates a biggger load for the remaining teeth. Ideally, go a few extra in the rear. If youre unsure how many teeth would be equal to one in the front, just divide front and rear teeth into each other. Example, WR 426 comes with a 14/50, this is a 3.57:1 to basically, one tooth up front is the same as 3.5 in the rear. Of ocurse, 3.5 is impossible, so go 3 or 4. Now if you go too many in the rear, your chain guide may have to be moved forward. I'd try to go no less than 13 in the front, but 12's are available. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.