Running with a known bad regulator/rectifier

4 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR

Posted May 19, 2015 - 11:11 AM

Can running the bike with a blown regulator/rectifier likely cause harm to other electrical system components?  

I have the Tusk lighting kit (which has a OFF-LOW-HIGH headlight switch), and while I normally just leave the headlight off, I do run the light on if I'm on roads.  I noticed recently that both the low and high beam filaments had burned out.  That should have been my clue, but instead I bought a sweet $35 PIAA HM6 super white bulb, installed it, started it up, saw some very impressive light at idle when I hit the switch, then when I revved it, got a bright pink, blue, and purple light show, followed by burn out.  All grounds check good.  

AC voltage output at idle (1700 rpm) bounces a bit between 14.8-15.2V, but as soon as I rev it, it'll spike off-scale high and then settle out somewhere around 25V with a constant 3500-4000 rpm.

So what I'm really wondering is can I run the bike without potentially frying other components (namely, ignition).  It seems to start and run fine right now and I'm actually not sure how long I've been running with the headlight burned out.  But if it's not a good idea, then I'll quit until I get the part.

Also open to any regulator/rectifier replacement ideas ($95 for OEM from boats.net, or cheap eBay Chinese special).  I'm not planning to upgrade the power system because I really don't need more than it provides.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 19, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Yes

Too much voltage and current

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted May 21, 2015 - 06:43 AM

Any idea of what the designed input voltage range is for the CDI?

• KennyMc

Posted May 22, 2015 - 05:47 AM

Any idea of what the designed input voltage range is for the CDI?

You can have my stock one off of my '07 450. I took it off in '09 when I dual sported it.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1432302439.338279.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1432302451.020075.jpg

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 22, 2015 - 07:52 AM

PM sent!  You rock.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.