yz426 street Tire Size?

15 replies to this topic
  • blueshortridge

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:10 PM

I'm looking for some dot approved dual sport tires and I am not sure of the sizes that will fit without me changing the original rims. I'd like to have a 60/40 tire because I converted the 426 to a street bike. Which tire sizes will fit without rubbing or causing trouble?

• Slow and Jerky

Posted May 19, 2015 - 03:49 AM

The best DS tires i have found are the Kenda's, they are cheap and last a long time. I have run them on a KLR 650 and an XR 250L and were relatively happy with their performance on the street and gravel. They do okay on trails as long as it's not real muddy and you don't try to corner to fast. They don't have the heavy lugs on the sides like a full off road tire, which makes them smoother on the road but not much grip in a corner.

• blueshortridge

Posted May 19, 2015 - 06:12 AM

Thanks for the reply! I had also looked at those, and they are relatively cheap which makes it even better. But should I just order straight stock sizes?

• blueshortridge

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:22 AM

My other question is about lighting, I bought it and it came with headlights and tail lights however they do not seem to work. I would like to wire hem up

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:28 AM

Lighting a YZ426 requires the use of a stator and flywheel from a WR400/426 to begin with, and the stator needs modification to run with the YZ CDI.

http://www.thumperta...-3#entry9517821

• blueshortridge

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:46 AM

I've got the wr stator and flywheel ordered, and if I do that mod, is it just plug and play after that? I got a wiring kit with switches from Naha designs

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2015 - 09:03 AM

No idea, since I've never heard of Naha.  It could be that the bike already has the WR generator setup, and that part of the wiring is goofed up.  The YZ stator has only four coil poles, the WR more.

• blueshortridge

Posted May 19, 2015 - 10:29 AM

I really hate autocorrect sometimes, I am sorry I meant to say Baja Designs. And you could be exactly right, thats what I was thinking. Who would wire something up and even add an hour-meter to a bike that couldn't even power it? The bike is getting the fork seals replaced and a valve cover gasket but as soon as I get it back I will look. In the meantime I have ordered a polisport 35w headlight, and I already have the head and tail light that's already on. I also ordered a vapor trail tech speedo. I am just hoping I just plug all this stuff up, because I wouldn't know how to splice and cut and solder. i am assuming I can just use the wiring kit with the light switches from baja designs? 

I am determined to get this to work :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Slow and Jerky

Posted May 19, 2015 - 12:38 PM

Thanks for the reply! I had also looked at those, and they are relatively cheap which makes it even better. But should I just order straight stock sizes?

That's I have always done

• blueshortridge

Posted May 19, 2015 - 05:30 PM

I can't seem to find a kenda 19 inch rim size tire, does anyone know where to get one?

• blueshortridge

Posted June 03, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Bringing this back from the dead. I got the WR426 stator and flywheel installed. I got the tusk wiring kit for it and also got the trail tech regulator/rectifier to convert to dc to charge the battery. My question is, do I still need to mod the stator? And also from the wiring kit, it has 3 wires coming from the switch to go to the headlight. I got an after market polisport headlight and can't seem to get it to work. It has 3 prongs for ground maximum and medium and then a side bulb that says minimal and only has two wires but it is a plug. Any help would be great, as I am almost finished. 

Current things I have:

Trail Tech Vapor

Trail Tech Regulator/rectifier 

Tusk Dual Sport kit

Atv/scooter battery

WR426 stator and flywheel

Polisport headlight 

• yamahakid426

Posted June 23, 2015 - 04:59 PM

Hi im in process of streeting my yz426f and i have the stock rims on it Front tire size 90/90-21 Rear tire size 110/90-19

assuming you have the same these are the tires i have and they work fine

Rear: http://www.amazon.co...=I3S9LIVW196FNI

Front: http://www.amazon.co...=I31N5HBFECZ90K

i hope this helps

• yamahakid426

Posted June 23, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Also i got the same headlight as you and im having trouble figuring out how to wire it, i dont really give a &%$#@! about the running light but the main high/low is wierd, i ordered the tusk enduro lighting kit and i know it has high/low switch so i think i can just splice some wires but if you have a better solution id love to hear back from you

• BLACK DEATH

Posted June 24, 2015 - 02:58 AM

What did y'all pay for your stator setup & flywheel?
Where did y'all get your wiring harness setup also?
Im debating buying a 426 & converting it to street motard style

• yamahakid426

Posted June 24, 2015 - 01:48 PM

All together my ive put in about 900 for titleing, plate, parts, tires etc. on top of the 1700 i paid for the bike. If i were to reccomend a supermoto to someone i would say get a wr for sure that way you dont have to mess around with electrical and battery placement. I ordered a special battery that is super small but it was 150$ so it adds up fast.

• BLACK DEATH

Posted June 24, 2015 - 03:09 PM

Wr in this area go over retail.
People think they are gold here in tx.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.