Removal of battery and maybe starter

19 replies to this topic
  • edwardsp

Posted February 18, 2004 - 09:30 AM

How many of you have removed the battery and possibly the starter from your WR450? I know some of you discussed doing that several months ago to either lighten the bike or to eliminate the key shearing potential. If you did it, what was your goal and were you satisfied with the results?

I've never had any trouble out of my bike, but lighter would be better, especially since it's very easy to kick-start. Reducing the chance of the key failure wouldn't be bad, either.

• The_Blue_One

Posted February 18, 2004 - 11:05 AM

I removed mine when the ignition sidecase broke. :shocked:I removed the starter and battery w/airbox lid. It shaved about 12lbs off the bike and is pretty noticable. :)

I always thought i would put it back on when the 04 parts were available.But i have since changed my mind.I've been riding without the estart for awhile now and don't miss it one bit.

Mine won't be an electric start until i sell it. :D

• jeff_eugene_or

Posted February 18, 2004 - 05:24 PM

After shearing two keys I removed the #2 Idler Gear and the battery. I have been running it as a kick start bike and it is fine!
Jeff

• mtrablue

Posted February 18, 2004 - 05:54 PM

i also removed mine when i found i had a broken side cover. i made a plug to fill the hole where the starter went. i can't really say there was a big differance to me. these are big bikes. i missed the button though. i ordered the '04 parts today.

• BEAN329

Posted February 19, 2004 - 07:25 PM

Nice, Pay close to $6000 for a bike and have to take things off that do not work. :)

• timvv51

Posted February 20, 2004 - 02:33 AM

Have to agree with you bean except for the price. $7000 out the door. Been runnin mine as a kick start since June. No idler gear, no battery. Does anyone have a good plug for the starter? To remove the starter you have to remove the left side engine cover dont you? It is over a year old now and no failures. Tim

• dubious

Posted February 27, 2004 - 02:21 PM

Yamaha will sell you a plug for their crappy starter.
Go to yamaha_motor.com , go to accessories, yfz450.To see it.
PN# is GYT-5tG07-50-00
:D :D
Good luck.
I was hoping somebody would have installed a YZ450 Rotor and stator.
Upon inspection it does not look like its a retrofit.
Damn. I wanted the lighter flywheel too. :)

• lipskid

Posted February 27, 2004 - 05:27 PM

My dealer called Yamaha about that plug for me, and was told that it wouldn't work. The square doohicky on the plug fits over the breather or something on the YFZ. Also, the starters are a little different. I don't know if the the plug would be the right diameter, if it is, I guess you could always cut the thingy off and glue the plug in.

I'm going to be removing the starter components from mine in the near future. I'm gonna see if a local machinist can make something for me. I love her, I really do, but she's FAT :).

• RichBaker

Posted February 27, 2004 - 11:37 PM

Have to agree with you bean except for the price. $7000 out the door. Been runnin mine as a kick start since June. No idler gear, no battery. Does anyone have a good plug for the starter? To remove the starter you have to remove the left side engine cover dont you? It is over a year old now and no failures. Tim

Yeah, price varies depending on your deal........I paid $6041OTD.......we all got screwed, no matter what, just not nearly as bad as Gary got screwed on that CRF........................................................
:)

But, I still have the original Woodruff key and can't [@#$%&*!] too loud because of that :D

• Hick

Posted February 28, 2004 - 11:40 AM

The square doohicky on the plug fits over the breather or something on the YFZ. Also, the starters are a little different. I don't know if the the plug would be the right diameter, if it is, I guess you could always cut the thingy off and glue the plug in.

I'm confused. Is the YZF available w/ an e-start in Canada?

Here's a link to the GYT-R part:

Starter Block-Off Plug

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mtrablue

Posted February 28, 2004 - 02:04 PM

YFZ (quad) not YZF. it has a breather hose near the starter idler gears (torque limiter clutch).

• dubious

Posted February 28, 2004 - 02:17 PM

HICK--No the plug was designed for the quad. :)

• dubious

Posted February 28, 2004 - 02:53 PM

OH nice they got smart for the quad but shafted the bikers.
A couple of weeks ago I was looking at the rotor assembly to see if the yz would fit, and inspecting the starter while I was at it and noticed condensation around the starter assembly and gears behind the ignition cover.
I concluded that the starter shaft and idler gear was in such a remote, top corner causing poor circulation through the crankase and allowing/causing humidity to become trapped up there. They fixed the problem for the quad and were stuck with another engineering mastermind. :)
I'm about fed up with the bike . I should have bought a yz450 and installed a z-start clutch to make up for the tall 1st gear in the woods. :D :D :D
I should have listened to my instincts. Get the moto machine.

Anyone want to buy a meticulous, mint wr450. Deporked and uncorked.
Seriously.
I have over $10,000 canadian into her.Check out my signature.All stock equipment included.There's nothing wrong with it if you want a Yamaha and E start.
$8000 cdn .
Will consider CRF450, yzf450, or CR500 as trade or partial trade or trade up if your's is so equiped or a CR500AF
1-780-675-9565 :D

• Hick

Posted February 28, 2004 - 03:01 PM

YFZ (quad) not YZF.

Doh!

I forgot they made quads. :)

• Alabama_Rider

Posted March 02, 2004 - 08:37 PM

What did it take to get the starter out? Did you remove the idler gear?

• The_Blue_One

Posted March 02, 2004 - 08:50 PM

I removed the idler gear and had the starter hole welded shut. You could get a plug but since the idler boss broke in my sidecase i welded it. It ended up being 12lbs and i don't miss the starter at all.

I would also check with http://www.sfbracing.net/ they were going to make a replacement ignition cover without the starter hole.

• launchzone

Posted December 05, 2004 - 05:01 PM

Hey guys, I'm the proud owner of an 03 Wr450 supermoto (street only) :cry:
I never had any problems with starting system or failures, nevertheless I did removed the starter and 2 mating gears, the smaller gear (idler) and the large one way gear (large gear attach to the flywheel) less fly wheel weight for better acceleration. I also machined a plug (using an oring to seal and a screw, head over lapping the diameter from the inside so that it can't back out). Everything works great with less weight and the bike starts easily with the auto decompression. :cry:
My question now is: If I removed the battery, will I have any problems with the lighting and the ignition. Any info is appreciated! :cry: Thanks

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 05, 2004 - 06:16 PM

My riding buddy "NCMountainman" took all his 2004 electric starter gear torque limiter, starter clutch, wiring and battery and sold it to me for spare parts. I think he said it saved him 14 lbs! PM him if you have any questions on the details. :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted December 05, 2004 - 08:25 PM

Wow, I did just the opposite. I sold my perfectly good running 01 WR426F and bought a new 04 WR450F just so I could have the e-start. No way I'm parting with my e-start! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 05, 2004 - 08:49 PM

I agree! :cry: Got to have an E-start and a kick stand for me to enjoy a bike for trail riding! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.