How much is a wr450 engine? Who has blown one up?

8 replies to this topic
  • hootie233

Posted May 16, 2015 - 08:09 PM

I plan on doing the unthinkable, converting my 2012 wr450f into a supermoto and racking up some serious miles all summer with it being my daily rider/ commuter.  Theoretically how much do new engines cost? Who has blown up a 450? How did it meet its demise? 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 17, 2015 - 06:32 AM

I don't understand.

Why do you need a new motor??

You know, you can rebuild the motor, you don't have to replace it, unless you don't maintain it and it has a castistrophic failure...

• hootie233

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:11 AM

I don't understand.

Why do you need a new motor??

You know, you can rebuild the motor, you don't have to replace it, unless you don't maintain it and it has a castistrophic failure...

I dont need a new motor, I just plan on abusing the one I have and wanted an idea of what an engine would cost if I did have a catastrophic failure 

• JVP

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:39 AM

I dont need a new motor, I just plan on abusing the one I have and wanted an idea of what an engine would cost if I did have a catastrophic failure 

Dude,

These motors don't blow up unless you forget to put oil in them.  I have had the same motor and top end since new and I only have to adjust the valves.  The bike has over 25k miles on it. 

Why would you think of such of thing.  Yikes!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:54 AM

About $5k for a fresh one, and about $2k for a worn out one.

...oh yeah, a whole used bike is about $ 5600............

Edited by KRANNIE, May 17, 2015 - 10:54 AM.

• GuyGraham

Posted May 17, 2015 - 11:32 PM

There has been the very occasional valve failure, but as Krannie says these motors are pretty bullet proof

You can't buy a new 'motor' off the shelf - you can only buy the pats to rebuild the blown up one (or buy all the parts to build a new one, but that's ridiculously expensive)

Change the oil, checks the valve clearances, clean the air filter and don't live on the rev limiter and you will get a long service life out of it

If it drops a valve then it'll trash the head, piston, barrel and prob the rod, so basically a full rebiuld

Similar, if it breaks a piston, or the piston turns in the cylinder and punches out through the cylinder wall it'll be much the same out (YZF's do this it the cylinder/piston clearance gets too great due to the very short skirt on the piston and the abuse that MX bikes get)

• Summit

Posted May 19, 2015 - 06:34 AM

My 05 has 2200 trail miles. I'm 60 years old, looks like the darn bike will out live me.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 19, 2015 - 06:42 AM

My 05 has 2200 trail miles. I'm 60 years old, looks like the darn bike will out live me.

That's not much. Mines closer to 15,000. Third piston.

• grayracer513

Posted May 19, 2015 - 08:09 AM

Whole, complete new engines are not available.  They are quite rebuildable, however.  A complete overhaul of one would run to around $2500 in parts, including a whole set of bearings, provided the head is serviceable.

Both the catastrophic scenarios that Guy Graham laid out (either of which can also ruin the crankcases) are generally avoidable if you keep after the oil, and don't allow the engine to run long with a too loose piston, or worn rod bearing, or with any valve that has needed a shin smaller than .10mm less than the one that came with the engine new.

Oil is THE big deal.  You don't have much of it, and you're sharing it with a gearbox whose mission in life is to shred out the oil's ability to stay at its rated viscosity.  Use stuff that has been proven to hold up well, and change it more often than you think you should.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.