Yz 450 over heating?

5 replies to this topic
  • Yzrider15

Posted May 15, 2015 - 01:32 PM

Hey guys I took my bike out of the garage and gave her a kick, she cranked up and within 30 seconds the exhaust gets very hot, it doesn't glow red and it doesn't have the exhaust shield. It has stage 1 cams and +1 needle on it, I just want to know if that's normal. It's my first 450 (2008 yz 450). any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

• diesel_dean1

Posted May 15, 2015 - 01:59 PM

Overheating that quickly? You're running lean for sure. If you richen it you will run a hell of a lot better and get way more power. And prevent overheating

• ClemsonCRF

Posted May 15, 2015 - 03:21 PM

The exhaust on a 450 will definitely get hot enough to ruin your day in 30 seconds I wouldn't worry about it, btw these 450s aren't made to sit in stop and go traffic. The best way to keep it cool is to ride the hell out of hit!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yzrider15

Posted May 15, 2015 - 07:02 PM

I'm more of an internal engine expert, but when it comes to jetting, I know pretty much nothing. Guess I'll haul it to my local dealer and ask them to tune it. I kinda want to dyno it too. I'm using the bike for trails and the bike is maxed out, I literally spent 600$ of graphics and plastics and a hole bunch of other things last week that make it look sexy.

• stevethe

Posted May 15, 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'm more of an internal engine expert, but when it comes to jetting, I know pretty much nothing. Guess I'll haul it to my local dealer and ask them to tune it. I kinda want to dyno it too. I'm using the bike for trails and the bike is maxed out, I literally spent 600$ of graphics and plastics and a hole bunch of other things last week that make it look sexy.

Your bike shouldn't need dyno tuning. Just follow some of the jetting stickies at the top for your year of bike or if it runs fine just ride it. They all get hot idling. 

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2015 - 08:51 AM

It is completely normal for a YZ450 that has a titanium header, either stock or aftermarket, to heat the pipe to a fairly visible red in 30 seconds to a minute at an idle, especially on a cold start.  Don't gauge your jetting by that, only by how the bike runs while riding it. 

The Ti headers are typically only about .040" thick, and a red glow visible in shade is about 800 ℉.  The normal exhaust temperature runs at closer to 1400 ℉, so without the air flow over the pipe, it shouldn't be too surprising that it does this, at least to some degree.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.