1991 Question...

4 replies to this topic
  • ThumpDR

Posted February 18, 2004 - 06:26 AM

I'm servicing my buddies 1991 XR600 and have a couple of questions. Please help.

1.) Is the only drain plug on the frame below the oil tank? No sump plug?

2.) What is the refill capacity?

Thanks!!

• miguelitro

Posted February 18, 2004 - 08:55 AM

There is also a drain plug at the base of the the frame tube oil resevoir. Both must be drained. It is preferable that you replace both drain plug gaskets. Aslo be sure to hit the torque specs on the oil filter cover to prevent leaks. The oil capacity on a stock(not rebuilt) XR600 is just over 2 quarts(I use castrol GTX 20-50) but it is best to use the dip stick to make sure you have enough oil in there. To do this pour 1 quart into the frame tube oil resevoir, replace the cap and start the bike. As the bike warms up(allow to run for just a minute or two) the oil will be sucked into the engine and you can shut it down and add more. As you get close to 2 quarts let the bike warm up completely and fill to the appropriate level on the dip stick.
Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumpDR

Posted February 18, 2004 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for the tips, great advice!!

Not to be a complete idiot but I cannot find the other drain plug. I found the one on the frame tube just up from the skid cage but nothing else in sight.

??? :)

• miguelitro

Posted February 18, 2004 - 10:24 AM

Gotcha- the other drain plug is on the side of the case not the bottom, look by where the footpeg bolts up, maybe a little foreward from there. I think its like a 17mm bolt
hope thhat helps

• ThumpDR

Posted February 18, 2004 - 12:26 PM

I found it!! :)

Thanks,

Scott

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.