YZ vs WR triple clamp offset: any difference?

7 replies to this topic
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2015 - 04:06 PM

2006/7 YZ 250/450   vs     2007-11 WR450

• stevethe

Posted May 14, 2015 - 05:36 PM

One other thing to remember the YZ clamps don't have provisions for a speedo or the headlight. So if you use YZ clamps you'll need to rig something up.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2015 - 06:20 PM

One other thing to remember the YZ clamps don't have provisions for a speedo or the headlight. So if you use YZ clamps you'll need to rig something up.

The WR doesn't have provisions that work very well either for Trail Tech or others.

I always make my own....

All I care about is offset. I want less, without having to go aftermarket.

• stevethe

Posted May 14, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Isn't the WR 24mm offset and some year of the YZ is 22mm.
There was a used ebay YZ 250 Zipty 17mm triples. But I think the stem would need the 450 one pressed in.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 14, 2015 - 08:01 PM

I sold my DHR clamps cause they were very heavy, and very stiff, but I think I am missing the less offset, even though I was never able to find out what offset the DHR clamps actually were....

• stevethe

Posted May 15, 2015 - 04:55 AM

I sold my DHR clamps cause they were very heavy, and very stiff, but I think I am missing the less offset, even though I was never able to find out what offset the DHR clamps actually were....

All the aftermarket I have seen were 22mm from the 24mm stock. Only Zipty had the 17mm for dirt bikes. I believe they are machined from 6061 and are fairly light. The Supermoto bikes use 13mm.

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2015 - 11:03 AM

Both the clamps listed have the same 25mm offset.  The YZ450 went to 22mm in '10.

However, the '06 and later YZ's using the SSS fork have 2mm wider spacing between the tubes, made up for by offsetting each axle lug inboard 1mm so as to reuse the pre-existing wheels/axles/spacers.  If you use WR clamps with '06 or later YZ forks, you will need to shorten the left wheel spacer by 1mm, or pull the rim over with the spokes.  Or ignore it; it's .040"

• RockerYZWR

Posted May 18, 2015 - 01:46 PM

Both the clamps listed have the same 25mm offset.  The YZ450 went to 22mm in '10.

However, the '06 and later YZ's using the SSS fork have 2mm wider spacing between the tubes, made up for by offsetting each axle lug inboard 1mm so as to reuse the pre-existing wheels/axles/spacers.  If you use WR clamps with '06 or later YZ forks, you will need to shorten the left wheel spacer by 1mm, or pull the rim over with the spokes.  Or ignore it; it's .040"

That's what I did; ignore it.  So far, so good after a year and a half.  Thanks a lot for this info.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.