Wanting an older YZ for the dunes

5 replies to this topic
  • Dune Ready

Posted May 14, 2015 - 01:37 PM

So I had a 2013 YZ 450 and I loved the power and suspension of the bike, but I ride mostly tight single track and it was just too much in the woods.  I never used any of its power.  I did take it to the dunes a few times and loved it there.  

However, I sold the bike and bought a 250f for the woods, but I am concerned that I will be revving the piss out of it at the dunes.  So here is my question.....  I would like to get another 450, but an older one this time, because it is going to sit in the garage mostly except for the occasional dune trip.  If I go with say an 06 thru 09 YZ, how different are they going to feel from the 2013 I had?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• billygildark5007

Posted May 14, 2015 - 05:59 PM

The 06-09s will feel a little smaller the radiator shrouds because they are. The 10-13 are a noticeably a little wider when riding. 14+ not so much. I think I'd get an 06 or 7 out of those years. The 08 motor was "down tuned" and might need and exhaust and other mods.

• Dune Ready

Posted May 14, 2015 - 08:47 PM

I would have guessed a little newer would be better so that's good to know. My 2013 felt pretty nimble for a 45 . How would an 06 feel? Nimble or kind of a tank?

Thank you for input

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • n16ht5

Posted May 16, 2015 - 08:45 AM

The 14 I rode felt a bit more frisky if you will, with the EFI. Handling seemed similar as for weight.. the new ones turn quicker with the mass centralized

Edited by n16ht5, May 16, 2015 - 08:46 AM.

• billygildark5007

Posted May 16, 2015 - 01:09 PM

I think my '11 feels more "tankish" than the 06-9s

• Dune Ready

Posted May 16, 2015 - 07:51 PM

Okay, Thank you for the replies.  I found an 09 that is pretty nice, but trying to talk the guy down on price :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.