Bearing question, please help

10 replies to this topic
  • 426pete

Posted February 16, 2002 - 01:56 PM

hey guys, i was tearing apart my swing arm and getting ready to grease the bearings and when i got everything apart i noticed that in the bearings there is a yellow waxy substance in there. is it ok if i clean that crap out and just pack the grease in there? i would really appreciate any feedback. thanks alot.
brett

• crazyadam

Posted February 16, 2002 - 02:33 PM

Clean it all out and get some good moly grease! Mobil 1 is good. pack it in! :)

• scottzx7rr

Posted February 16, 2002 - 03:05 PM

Brett,

From the factory they use a dry lubricant on the bearings(very scary, LOL) so what you are seeing is that stuff. As already recommended get you a good quality lubricant to go over the bike.

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 16, 2002 - 03:34 PM

Originally posted by crazyadam:
Clean it all out and get some good moly grease! Mobil 1 is good. pack it in! :D

I am doing the same thing to my bike, that is greasing the bearings. The only problem is, I don't like the idea of taking that stuff out :D

If you take all that stuff out, the needle bearings will only cover half the space in the bearing case(That can not be good) :D

What is keeping the needle bearings from grouping together? Is there somewhere you can get just the needle bearings, so you can put a few more in? :D

This way you will have even distribution in the bearing case. :D I will be leaving my yellow crap in and add what grease I can get in. Unless I can find some extra needle bearing to put in the yellow craps place.

Looks like some are in a metal case to, are you tearing that out to? :)

Any help will be greatly appreciated, :D THANX! ~Hitman~

[ February 16, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 16, 2002 - 03:54 PM

Hey! Just had an idea "STAND BACK" :) Anyone have some stock bearings still laying around for the swingarm and linkage, from replacing with new ones? I will pay for the shipping to my address, if they are good needles(PLEASE! no bad ones). This would be great, will take that space up in the bearing case. Let me know, yz426f@msn.com ~Hitman~

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • leif

Posted February 17, 2002 - 04:46 AM

When you remove all of the old grease (yellow stuff), you will be replacing it with new grease. That will fill the gaps back up. You don't need to add more needles. You wouldn't want to anyways. They have that gap for a reason. Space for grease. You would also have different diameter needles then. All of the load going onto the bigger ones. The needles wont bunch up because of the inner race (bushing).

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 17, 2002 - 05:26 AM

I believe that the yellow waxy stuff is not lubricant, it is really a rubbery stuff which is used to hold the needles together during assembly. Could you imagine paying people at the factor to put the needles in one at a time with their fingers? I think it's safe to remove it, I removed mine when I regreased it last time and it's working fine. As a bonus you can get 2x the grease in there without that stuff taking up the spaces.

• #1_Hit-man

Posted February 17, 2002 - 05:46 AM

Originally posted by sirthumpalot:
I believe that the yellow waxy stuff is not lubricant, it is really a rubbery stuff which is used to hold the needles together during assembly. Could you imagine paying people at the factor to put the needles in one at a time with their fingers? I think it's safe to remove it, I removed mine when I regreased it last time and it's working fine. As a bonus you can get 2x the grease in there without that stuff taking up the spaces.

I just don't know??? It just does not sound good.

I have heard others say "DO NOT" take that stuff out because of the grouping on the needles. And it does look like this would happen.

How would the cases keep the needles from grouping?

Has anyone done this over a year with a good inspection report.

What about the ones that are in metal caes?

THANX! ~Hitman~

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

[ February 17, 2002: Message edited by: #1 Hit-man ]

• motoman393

Posted February 17, 2002 - 07:24 AM

I took that yellow crap out the 1st week I had my bike! 1 yr and 4 months of hard riding and the linkage and swingarm work great (I clean and regrease them every 3 months or so) There is no way that stuff can lube those bearings. You can have the best suspension in the world...but if your linkage, lower shock bearing, or swingarm bearings are shot, then your suspension will only be that good! So having the bearings greased is very important! Later,

Garrett

• motoman393

Posted February 17, 2002 - 07:28 AM

Another thing, after I took the "yellow crap" out, my needle bearings were still a very tight fit in the cases. I took each needle bearing out and cleaned them (this is the only way to get all the yellow stuff out), they went in tight with no gaps after removal...so what is the problem? Later,

Garrett

• couly

Posted February 17, 2002 - 05:43 PM

I took my bike completely apart the day I brought my bike home(Jan.'00). I removed the yellow packing plastic from the bearings and greased with my moly grease. I figure the bearing manufactuer shipped the needle bearing with the plastic mold to hold the needles together and Yamaha didnt want to take the time to do what I did. I could be wrong but its performing perfectly after 2 years of motocross. I inspect and regrease all bearings twice a year (Jan.&July). If I remember correctly the needles were touching together even with the plastic mold.

Couly

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.