2012+ WR450 cooling fan kit

25 replies to this topic
  • craig652

Posted July 20, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Looks great. I have the same braces and tank. I am curious what mod you did to your brace and do the screws that hold the fan to the brace interfere or contact the radiator fins?

Figured it out… here they are.

attachicon.gifCAM01083.jpg

attachicon.gifCAM01084.jpg

• Dave WR450

Posted July 20, 2015 - 05:33 PM

I removed some of the brace material that goes across the radiator to open up the flow so the fan can pull more air, I figured a weak brace is better than none if I removed it so the fan kit would fit. I used the existing screws from the fan kit and they had plenty of clearance from the radiator core and fins. Only two would line up and it is not really going to go anywhere, I have seen similar fan installs with only zip ties (not pretty but worked) Keep the electrical connection and wire as far away from the exhaust as possible, 9 o’clock position worked out good. I probably should have taken before and after pictures of the extra material and where I drilled the screw holes, sorry. You will see the clearance issues with the inner rad brace mount bolt if you decide to go the same route as I did, the assembly will be similar to the fan kit. I also had to trim a very small amount off the radiator shroud next to the fan screw boss to make everything fit where I wanted it. Measure twice and cut/drill once, haha. Hope this helped.

Edited by Dave WR450, July 20, 2015 - 05:44 PM.

• msawyer420

Posted July 28, 2015 - 02:45 PM

Ive got it and absoloutly love it. Favorite part is how you can turn off the bike and it still operates until temps go under 185. Really nice unit. My friend has same kit and his git shipped with a blown fuse, he was spewing all day on a tight trail run. His was in the 220° range while mone never got over 205 while stopped. Turned the bike off and mine would cool to 185 in minutes while his never got under 220. Very nice piece of equipment!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gabex35

Posted August 04, 2015 - 06:55 PM

Figured it out… here they are.

attachicon.gifCAM01083.jpg

attachicon.gifCAM01084.jpg

I just installed mine today on a 2014 and came to the same outcome on brace layout.

I didn't see anything in the instructions on recommended temperature setting. Do you have any insight on your setup?

• Dave WR450

Posted August 06, 2015 - 06:56 PM

I set my fan to 150 and rode around my street and noticed the engine temp dropped to 130, keep in mind it was putting around and no real load. I will need to readjust when I hit the trail this weekend and guess I will set it around 180, hope this helped. You will need to set yours to your riding conditions to keep it from getting too hot.

• DRZ04

Posted August 09, 2015 - 08:33 PM

I installed the Trail Tech cooling fan today. Actually easy to install with the exception of tightening the rear center radiator bolt where the inside fan bracket fits. I had a major hard time getting a wrench on the bolt head after the fan was installed. So I took the 4 fan mounting screws out to remove the fan & I could easily tighten the bolt. Then I installed the fan on the bracket & reinstalled the 4 torq head mounting screws. Very easy. Other than that it was an easy install.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.