2000 Yamaha WR 400 Good buy?

9 replies to this topic
  • Bobert99

Posted May 13, 2015 - 01:58 PM

I found a 2000 WR400F for sale in my hometown.  I started doing research online and found this forum with a good thread from 2008 about these bikes.  I am wondering now if anybody thinks this would still be a good deal?

Here's the ad: 

http://twinfalls.cra...5022208094.html

Thanks for any help!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 13, 2015 - 02:02 PM

It's a 15 year old dirtbike.....condition is everything.

The bikes are very agressively powerfull, and hard to start (no auto-decompression system) and kick start only.

I would look at a 2004 or later, only.

• Bobert99

Posted May 13, 2015 - 02:14 PM

Thanks!  Anybody else have any info?  I am going to go look at it tomorrow and suppose I'll make a decision then.

• Spiritwalker2222

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:26 AM

I had the WR400. Awesome bike. Easy to start, if you know the routine. A real pain if you don't.

It's now a 15 year old bike, I'd get a newer bike. What you save in initial costs, you'll probably spend in repairs. I sold mine last year, sad to see her go. She was still running strong.

• Bobert99

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:35 AM

Thanks for all the info guys.  Hopefully I will have something soon and be on here more often.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BlueBeast400

Posted May 17, 2015 - 12:12 PM

Not sure if you made a decision yet or not, but I bought a 2000 WR400 a couple months back. It was in solid original condition but wasn't running the way it should (it would only idle). I figured it was just the pilot jet and I was right. I cleaned and jetted the carb along with a few other things and the bike runs great. Starting it was a pain till I figured out the routine it liked. Now I can get it started 1st or 2nd kick. It was a good buy and I'm glad I bought it. I was on a tight budget and I think it is a great bike so far.

• Bobert99

Posted May 18, 2015 - 06:30 AM

Cool Thanks for that info.  That is kind of where I am at, this bike is a cheap way to just get started riding this summer.  I went and rode it this past weekend and it ran fine just a little beat up.  Trying to decide whether I should just get this old guy or justify coming up with another couple grand and buying a newer one.

• BlueBeast400

Posted May 18, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Cool Thanks for that info.  That is kind of where I am at, this bike is a cheap way to just get started riding this summer.  I went and rode it this past weekend and it ran fine just a little beat up.  Trying to decide whether I should just get this old guy or justify coming up with another couple grand and buying a newer one.

It looks like a pretty good buy. Most dirt bikes look rough on the outside, but that is easily fixed by new plastics. As long as it was maintained well you should be good. I've got a wife and a 1yr old and could not justify 3-4k for a newer bike. I bought mine for $900 and put about $400 and my time into it. I figure I've got a great running bike that should give me years of fun for $1300. A 2000 wr400 can go anywhere a newer bike can go. The 400 packs plenty of power, so don't think you won't be able to keep up with your buddies.

• Bobert99

Posted May 19, 2015 - 12:07 PM

Haven't bought that '00 WR400 but this popped up yesterday and going to check it out this weekend.  Picture looks bad but was wondering what kind of track record the '03 WR 450's had? Pretty problem free?

http://boise.craigsl...5006667067.html

• BlueBeast400

Posted May 19, 2015 - 02:23 PM

Haven't bought that '00 WR400 but this popped up yesterday and going to check it out this weekend.  Picture looks bad but was wondering what kind of track record the '03 WR 450's had? Pretty problem free?

http://boise.craigsl...5006667067.html

All Depends on how it was treated, main thing is how well it was maintained, ask a lot of questions. No used bike is problem free; there will always be something. That 2000 wr400 could be more reliable than a 2014 if it was ridden hard and neglected.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.