Engine ping

10 replies to this topic
  • Firefighter654

Posted May 11, 2015 - 01:30 PM

I have a 2013 with GYTR pipe, snorkel removed, competition ecu, with the FMF map. It definitely is pinging at lower rpm's when I accelerate. Ant suggestions on a different map, or what I should modify on map? Any help appreciated!

• stevethe

Posted May 11, 2015 - 02:15 PM

I haven't seen anyone complaining about pinging. Running premium pump fuel.

• openbook215

Posted May 11, 2015 - 02:32 PM

I was at first concerned that I was running a lean map, if you have the comp. ECU then your probably not running too lean.  My bike I found out suffered from chain slap and it sounded just like Pre-ignition.  I'm not saying that yours is the same but I tested it by tightening the chain a bit more than standard, and silicon under the top of the chain slider.  Once I was aware of what the sound really was I wasn't so bothered.

• vlxjim

Posted May 11, 2015 - 02:59 PM

A few things to check. Make sure your idle is set for 2000 RPM. As stated before make sure you're running premium fuel. The FMF map has a lot of ignition timing added which could cause the bike to ping. A quick test would be to run my map the vlxjim map and make sure your timing is set at 2000 RPM. See if your pinging goes away. This map runs much cooler than the FMF map. The comp ECU base map all zeros has more timing than the stock ECU. This should work very well for you. If you want more hit at the bottom add one to two in the lower left bottom corner. But try it the way its shown first.

Vlxjim Map

Fuel         Timing

3  4  4      0   0   0

3  5  3     -2  -1  0

3  4  3     -2  -2  0

Edited by vlxjim, May 11, 2015 - 03:06 PM.

• Firefighter654

Posted May 11, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Yes, I am running premium (91) ethanol free gas. Definitely not chain slap. I'll try the Vixjim map - thank you.
I'll report back in a few days

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motodwn71

Posted May 13, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Pre ignition is very harmful. Mostly it can be attributed to spark timing to advanced and or lean condition. Timing advanced to much causes a lean condition because the air fuel mixture starts burning to soon, not leaving enough during combustion. I'm not familiar with the new tuning system, I would look for a map with less timing or retard it yourself if it will allow you.

• Firefighter654

Posted May 13, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I loaded vixjim's map and it made a huge difference. No more pinging! I previously had the FMF map in there, not sure how they came up with it, or if everyone else who used it had the pinging issue. Thanks again.

• vlxjim

Posted May 14, 2015 - 08:39 AM

I loaded vixjim's map and it made a huge difference. No more pinging! I previously had the FMF map in there, not sure how they came up with it, or if everyone else who used it had the pinging issue. Thanks again.

Glad it helped you out. The map is a very good all around map. Smooth bottom end power. And hard pull up top. Works even better if you bump the CO 10-15.

• Firefighter654

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:08 PM

So I'm still getting some pinging, with vixjim's map when lugging it at low rpm and small throttle openings. Let's say I'm working some tight trails in second gear, maybe I should drop to first, but I keep it in second, glide for a moment as I slow for a curve (zero throttle opening), come out of curve, twist the throttle and I'm getting pinging until the rpm's increase. Kind of has that Diesel engine sound. Running ethanol free 91, FMF pipe, open air box. I ride between 6000 and 9000 fee elevation, temps typically between 55 and 75. Any advice????

Edited by Firefighter654, May 30, 2015 - 05:23 PM.

• buhlockay

Posted May 30, 2015 - 11:42 PM

So I'm still getting some pinging, with vixjim's map when lugging it at low rpm and small throttle openings. Let's say I'm working some tight trails in second gear, maybe I should drop to first, but I keep it in second, glide for a moment as I slow for a curve (zero throttle opening), come out of curve, twist the throttle and I'm getting pinging until the rpm's increase. Kind of has that Diesel engine sound. Running ethanol free 91, FMF pipe, open air box. I ride between 6000 and 9000 fee elevation, temps typically between 55 and 75. Any advice????

Did you adjust the CO level? That is the last adjustment needed to get this bike running the way it was meant to. The bike will still be running lean if you have not which could be contributing to your pinging noise issue

• Firefighter654

Posted May 31, 2015 - 05:43 AM

Did you adjust the CO level? That is the last adjustment needed to get this bike running the way it was meant to. The bike will still be running lean if you have not which could be contributing to your pinging noise issue

Yes, forgot to mention, CO is adjusted to 11.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.