2003 wr 450 clutch basket compatibility.

7 replies to this topic
  • Motodwn71

Posted May 09, 2015 - 09:14 AM

Does anyone know the difference in the 03 and 04 clutch baskets? Both the inner hub and pressure plate are the same. Most aftermarket parts start at 04 and up. Having trouble finding a aftermarket basket for 03. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

• ThumpMe

Posted May 20, 2015 - 08:33 PM

Not sure what the difference is, I checked Rocky Mountain though and you are correct...way different part numbers on the two years baskets. I thought they were the same as most other parts on those two years of  bikes ARE interchangeable.

Would like to know if maybe they did some sort of an update as lots of '03's seemed to have engagement or drag problems on them, mine sure did....maybe that different '04 part addressed this?

I know when I reworked my clutch last year I was getting some stock parts of e-bay at real cheap prices. I bought a complete clutch for thirty bucks!

If you could find one cheap enough you might want to do a side by side comparison, maybe even measure  them up and see if you can spot any differences.

• Motodwn71

Posted May 21, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Thanks Thumpme for the info and reply. You might be right about the up date to address clutch drag issues. I know the crank and some of the starter assembly were updated in 04. Everything else seems the same. Wondering if they changed the driven gear on the back of the clutch basket. If they didn't I don't see why an 04 clutch basket wouldn't work on my 03. Would really like to upgrade to a Hinson set up.

• ThumpMe

Posted May 23, 2015 - 09:31 AM

Did you check with or call Hinsen? I would be surprised if they did not have something to fit one of these bikes as they are so common....course now they are starting to be considered old!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motodwn71

Posted May 29, 2015 - 10:25 AM

Thanks Thumpme I have a wiseco basket on the way. I found the difference is in the crank shaft. '04 crank was updated. New basket and thrust washer were issued due to the change in the splines on the crank shaft. Since I had the cases split I updated everything to the 04 setup. Had to order new parts anyway. Thanks for the input. Can't wait to put it together and get out and ride!! B safe and happy trails.

• ThumpMe

Posted May 31, 2015 - 04:44 PM

Thanks Thumpme I have a wiseco basket on the way. I found the difference is in the crank shaft. '04 crank was updated. New basket and thrust washer were issued due to the change in the splines on the crank shaft. Since I had the cases split I updated everything to the 04 setup. Had to order new parts anyway. Thanks for the input. Can't wait to put it together and get out and ride!! B safe and happy trails.

Cool! I hope it works out well, keep us posted as to how nice that new clutch works!

• grayracer513

Posted June 03, 2015 - 12:51 PM

The clutch doesn't attach to the crankshaft, and both bikes use the same right side crank axle and gear.  More likely, the change will be related to the layout of the torsional cushion unit enclosed in the driven gear assembly.

• ThumpMe

Posted June 04, 2015 - 04:41 AM

The clutch doesn't attach to the crankshaft,

Good Point! Not sure how I missed that! My reading comprehension must be off!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.