2014 WR450F coolant leak

10 replies to this topic
  • timelinex

Posted May 08, 2015 - 11:50 AM

After the last time that I went riding, I noticed that there is a small puddle of coolant below the bike in the garage. I've found where its coming from but don't know what the next step is. Everyone seems to have a leak in the water pump area, this is not where mine is. Mine seems to be coming from where the top radiator hose connects to the engine, right next to the exhaust. I wiped it all up last night and came back this morning to find a few drops on the floor, so it wasn't a one time thing or from after riding.

It's kinda hard to describe, so I attached a beautifully drawn picture. The picture is as if you are viewing the bike from the front (and maybe a little to the right of it from the front). On the top right there is the hose that is coming from the radiator. It come around top and attaches to a metal connector, and this metal connector attaches to the engine. This connection happens directly to the right of the exhaust connection. The leak does not seem to be coming from where the hose connects to the metal connector, but rather it looks like its coming from where the metal connector connects to the engine. 

I also attached a pic of the puddle and an up close of the area of the bike.

Coolant level is still good and the overflow reservoir in the back is like 1/3 full.

Any advice?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted May 08, 2015 - 11:58 AM

There's an o ring behind that fitting, its possible you may need to replace that.  Pretty simple fix.  I think there is one bolt holding that fitting to the engine.  And no, I'm not a dirt bike god, I just use the interweb. :D

https://www.rockymou...oem-schematic/1

• timelinex

Posted May 08, 2015 - 12:15 PM

There's an o ring behind that fitting, its possible you may need to replace that.  Pretty simple fix.  I think there is one bolt holding that fitting to the engine.  And no, I'm not a dirt bike god, I just use the interweb. :D

https://www.rockymou...oem-schematic/1

I've looked through these schematics while trying to find the names for things, before having to resort to calling things 'metal connectors'.. haha. Unfortunately I couldn't find where the metal connector is. The radiator hose section has the actual hose, but doesn't show the fitting. I looked through the other sections and couldn't find the fitting either!

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted May 08, 2015 - 12:19 PM

I've looked through these schematics while trying to find the names for things, before having to resort to calling things 'metal connectors'.. haha. Unfortunately I couldn't find where the metal connector is. The radiator hose section has the actual hose, but doesn't show the fitting. I looked through the other sections and couldn't find the fitting either!

I found the fitting, its part #7 on the radiator hose schematic.  The o ring is #9.

• timelinex

Posted May 08, 2015 - 01:50 PM

I'll check the schematics again when I get home. Luckily this looks like a nice cheap fix.

What's the best way to fix this? Do I have to dran the coolant first? How do I get in there, it's a really tight spot.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • timelinex

Posted May 08, 2015 - 02:31 PM

OK I checked them and I guess I do see what your saying. The metal connector is actually just called a Pipe by them and the connector must be welded with that pipe. Kind of look slike it in the schematics too.

Do you think I should get just the oring or the pipe piece/connector and bolt as well?

• PacoPaez

Posted May 08, 2015 - 07:59 PM

it looks the same as my 09 just changed the O ring only pipe is one piece I would check for hose tightness and make shoure whats leaking

Edited by PacoPaez, May 08, 2015 - 08:00 PM.

• timelinex

Posted May 14, 2015 - 08:27 AM

Well guys, I fixed the leak last night! I first drained the coolant... which got EVERYWHERE. I did not expect it to shoot out as far as it did. After replacing the oring, I flushed out the radiator with distilled water and replaced the coolant with some Engine Ice coolant. 16 Hours later and there is still no leak on the bike or ground, so I would call it a sucess! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I did have one more question. The coolant overflow reservoir in the back, does it cycle the coolant back to the radiator when its running low(for any reason), or is it literally just a catch for any fluid that boils over and it can and should be kept empty?

• bikerchaplain

Posted June 14, 2015 - 02:12 AM

Seems possible my son has this same leak maybe but we can't see it up top, there is a bolt behind the frame where we can see the leak dripping (no not the oil drain bolt it is further underneath the bike) can't seem to find what this bolt does anyone have any ideas??? I suspected maybe leaking from the top of the engine down but can't find nothing....

• plasma319

Posted June 28, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Sorry to revive this thread; however I am having this same exact problem on my 1998 wr400f. 

The parts book calls for an o-ring between the bead joint on the metal delivery tube and the seat within the cylinder.  I have tried several o-rings and cannot get it to stop leaking.  I even cleaned off both of the areas that seat together with no avail.  I can tell that the o-ring isn't seating right because the leak gets worse if I push the tube one direction, and vice versa.

Any help here?

• bikerchaplain

Posted June 28, 2015 - 11:47 PM

Turns out my sons problem was the water pump, I just couldn't see it from the back of the engine....... I hate water cooled bikes, old skool biker here even my 2000 model bikes give me the heaby jeabys..... give me an 80's bike or older any day to work on.....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.