First big backfire while starting the '04 & MSNusers popup problem.

36 replies to this topic
  • 5spoke

Posted February 20, 2004 - 07:39 PM

A easy workaround is to simply add a line to the etc\hosts file that points www.msnusers.com to localhost. This will disable the login prompt, but it will also disable any name resolution for the site...but I've never been there and don't plan to visit. :)

Add this line to the etc\hosts file on it's own line
127.0.0.1 www.msnusers.com

Sounds good DD, but I have no idea what you said. Does the msn user have to do something or do the people getting the popup have to change something.

I use norton, spybot, google popup blocker, trend micro housec call, and the only thing that ever pops up on my computer is this sign in for msn on this site. HELP. Why do some people get it and others don't? :D

• ddialogue

Posted February 20, 2004 - 07:55 PM

A easy workaround is to simply add a line to the etc\hosts file that points www.msnusers.com to localhost. This will disable the login prompt, but it will also disable any name resolution for the site...but I've never been there and don't plan to visit. :D

Add this line to the etc\hosts file on it's own line

Sounds good DD, but I have no idea what you said. Does the msn user have to do something or do the people getting the popup have to change something.

I use norton, spybot, google popup blocker, trend micro housec call, and the only thing that ever pops up on my computer is this sign in for msn on this site. HELP. Why do some people get it and others don't? :)

Most likely others aren't getting the pop-ups because they've got a Microsoft Passport login (for Hotmail, IM, etc.) and it's auto-logging them on without prompting. For those of us that don't have that, we get that annoying popup that's not blocked with any popup blockers (mine included.) By adding that line to the \etc\hosts file, it bascially tells the computer that the address for www.msnusers.com is your local computer and blocks any access to that site (thus blocking the login prompt popup.) On Windows pc's, the HOSTS file is located in the c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder and you can open it with notepad. Add that line to the bottom and voila! Hope that helps. :D

• 5spoke

Posted February 20, 2004 - 08:28 PM

By adding that line to the \etc\hosts file

Sorry dude. I know I'm a idiot, but does the msnuser add the line or do we?

• endurodog

Posted February 20, 2004 - 08:37 PM

If you are then I am too. :cheers:Hey your brighter than I am cause you at least figured it out. It's easy enough to click it closed everytime, just kinda annoying.

• endurodog

Posted February 20, 2004 - 08:38 PM

If you are then I am too. :) Hey your brighter than I am cause you at least figured it out. It's easy enough to click it closed everytime, just kinda annoying.

• BigBlueWR

Posted February 20, 2004 - 08:59 PM

Okay,

1. Copy this line

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Now: Open up windows explorer.

Paste same line into the top address bar. That will take you to the \etc\ directory shown above.

Now open up the "hosts" file. (you will probably have to select Notepad or Wordpad from the programs list)

Scroll down to the bottom of the file.
Then on a new line paste:

This should fix it according to ddialogue.

*Note: I don't have the pop-up prob, but I do have a msn passport login.
Hope this helps. Best of luck. :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 21, 2004 - 03:43 AM

Okay,

1. Copy this line

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\

Now: Open up windows explorer.

Paste same line into the top address bar. That will take you to the \etc\ directory shown above.

Now open up the "hosts" file. (you will probably have to select Notepad or Wordpad from the programs list)

Scroll down to the bottom of the file.
Then on a new line paste:

This should fix it according to ddialogue.

*Note: I don't have the pop-up prob, but I do have a msn passport login.
Hope this helps. Best of luck. :)

Sorry about the confusion, guys. Thanks for clarifying this for the rest of the group, BigBlueWR!

• 5spoke

Posted February 21, 2004 - 09:50 AM

I'm almost there, but it won't let me save the new file. It says its a read only file.

How the hell you guys figured this out is beyond me. Good job guys. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BigBlueWR

Posted February 21, 2004 - 11:16 AM

Right click on the hosts file and choose properties.

Down at the bottom it has an attributes selection.
Un-check the "read only box". Now edit and save the file.

Good luck. Hope this works. I'm gonna need help with the DS wiring on my WR. :)

• 5spoke

Posted February 22, 2004 - 10:40 AM

:) :D

• BigBlueWR

Posted February 22, 2004 - 03:00 PM

5spoke,

I don't know how to help you. I was just explaining what dd was talking about. Sorry man. :)

As far as my DS goes.....I just gonna try and run the TS on the AC side, and not worry about the horn. I'm hoping to stay away from adding a battery. The problem I think I'll have is that the stator on my '99 supposedly has less output than the newer WR's. In which case I guess I'll have to get a rectifier and battery.. We'll see. :D

• 5spoke

Posted February 22, 2004 - 05:26 PM

5spoke,

I don't know how to help you. I was just explaining what dd was talking about. Sorry man. :)

As far as my DS goes.....I just gonna try and run the TS on the AC side, and not worry about the horn. I'm hoping to stay away from adding a battery. The problem I think I'll have is that the stator on my '99 supposedly has less output than the newer WR's. In which case I guess I'll have to get a rectifier and battery.. We'll see. :D

I'm not sure if dirtstiff removed his pics, but the popup is gone. Maybe the settings took some time, but the popup is definitely gone. :D

The cheap flasher I got at Autozone worked on AC when I tried it. I would give it (putting everything on the AC side) a go. The TS are on for such a short time I don't think you will have a problem. Get a LED tail light and you will be fine. I agree with you about staying away from adding a batt and reg. Keep it simple. :D

• BigBlueWR

Posted February 22, 2004 - 06:22 PM

Cool,

Did you get a LED tail yet? If so from where. Thanks again. :)

• 5spoke

Posted February 22, 2004 - 06:37 PM

Cool,

Did you get a LED tail yet? If so from where. Thanks again. :)

No, I've been looking for the white LED tail light at local stores...no luck. I going to order the MAX 1157 White LED Bulb
Posted Image Posted Image from midnight moose and also the max H4 Xenon 4500k Posted Image

• ddialogue

Posted February 22, 2004 - 06:43 PM

I got a two-pack of 1157 white LED bulbs from AutoZone for $15. They work GREAT! :)

• 5spoke

Posted February 22, 2004 - 06:46 PM

My autozone only had the red ones. I'll have to check some other stores, maybe they were out. :)

• BigBlueWR

Posted February 22, 2004 - 07:22 PM

Cool,

I was hoping that the rear bulb on my UFO setup was a 1157 (I don't have access to my bike right now). You can get a pair on ebay for $15. I'll check out Kragen's next time I'm in there. Thanks guys. :)

Oh, I read that they are supposed to use 95% less power :D.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.