Are mods worth it?

10 replies to this topic
  • jc777

Posted February 17, 2004 - 02:26 PM

I have just recently purchased an 04' wr450 and im not too happy with the power stock.I was wondering how much money it would be to put the yz cam and exhaust on my bike and would it make a significant difference in power?

• RichBaker

Posted February 17, 2004 - 02:40 PM

If you haven't done the "free" mods, do them 1st....my fully prep'ed 03 is incredible! :)

• icbush

Posted February 17, 2004 - 03:18 PM

Just got my 04 last week. I did these mods before I even rode my bike.airbox :) snorkle removed, grey wire cut, fmf power core 4 with sparky, bike is much stronger than my 01 426, do the mods you will love your wr 450

• PBDBLUE

Posted February 17, 2004 - 04:15 PM

It really depends on how and where you ride. If you are an experienced rider and ride a lot of fast terrain (like desert riding) I would say go for it. The YZ cam really wakes the beast up. My '04 is much quicker than any of my previous WR's. My riding partners all have WR's, CRF's and YZ's. With the cam + mods this bike won't give up a line to any of them. The bike has an enormous amount of potential. All you have to do is tap into it. With all the mod's the WR cam is no slug either. Having said all this if your inexperienced (i.e. - beginner) or ride a lot of technical type terrain the WR cam might be a better choice.

• yamaha.dude

Posted February 17, 2004 - 05:03 PM

... of course we are! :D

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrooster

Posted February 17, 2004 - 07:24 PM

I have just recently purchased an 04' wr450 and im not too happy with the power stock.I was wondering how much money it would be to put the yz cam and exhaust on my bike and would it make a significant difference in power?

while written for the 250F bikes, the 250F FAQ (link in my sig below) contains a lot of info that is also directly applicable to your WR450F. for example, all of the free mods are covered in detail on the following page:
http://www.thumperfa...ree_mods.htm#WR

anyway, there is a lot of info for you to read up on.

jim aka the wrooster
'01 wr250f

• DirtDobber

Posted February 18, 2004 - 07:25 AM

Here's a example of the power the free mods will accomplish on the WR450.
With stock gearing on solid turf, I can not keep the front tire from rising by just rolling on the throttle in THIRD gear. This is with little ole me planted up against the tank filler cap on the front edge of the seat! With my gear on, I'm weighing in around 290 lbs. If I hit 4th gear hard the front tire will come up again, but settle back down after 10 yards.
Do your free mods. first, I think you will be very pleased with the increase in power!
I know how you feel, I was very dissapointed with the power when I first brought the bike home.
Now, no one wants to ride behind me! They get blasted with a killer roost!
DD :)

• galant2nr

Posted February 18, 2004 - 07:45 AM

I'm weighing in around 290 lbs.

No wonder that thing pulls the front wheel up, you must have massive traction... :)

• Gashira

Posted February 18, 2004 - 12:00 PM

Hey Dirt Dobber;...or anyone else
I didn't think the Grey Wire mod was applicable to the 04.
I thought you had to change the exhaust cam :)

I have a 04 Canadian & am planning to do the same mods as Dobber. I live at sea level.

• DirtDobber

Posted February 18, 2004 - 01:20 PM

Gashira,

From what little I know about the grey wire, to my understanding, it still controls the mapping. And I was told that when you do the free mods. you should go ahead and dissconnect the wire. I myself have noticed very little if any power increase... BUT I did notice a marked improvement in the transition between low to mid range smoothness. It used to stumble and run a tad rough in this area. It is smooooooooth now!
Note, if you decide to remove the grey wire, disconnect the main fuse or battery before you mess with the connector that houses the wire. I popped my fuse during the mod.
DD :)

• Treebark

Posted February 20, 2004 - 02:23 PM

Don't really need to buy anything, but if your itching to spend money invest in a stock YZ exhaust, a bigger main jet and a larger rear sprocket. Do the free mods first and they'll unleash a great deal of power. I've done them all and can't believe the difference. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.