08 wr450f clutch noise

9 replies to this topic
  • Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 06, 2015 - 07:48 PM

I went to look at a 08yz450f
On idle with the clutch out, it made a rattle as soon as you put tension on the clutch ( start pulling it in ) it goes away. Is it just somthing with the adjustment or is a big problem
= a lemon

• stevethe

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:02 PM

Well they all make a different noise with the clutch out.

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:23 PM

But a rattle ?
Not even riding the bike I noticed it when I had it on the stand

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Normal

They all make a horrendous racket, especially when just barely warmed up, with the clutch engaged.

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:35 PM

I have been told the clutch basket could slightly worn ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted May 07, 2015 - 12:43 AM

Rattling with the clutch pulled in, is the plates against each other/basket, as they are in effect 'loose'  no problem this is normal

Rattling with the clutch engaged (but in neutral) is wear at the basket/primary driven gear interface. The gear is riveted to the basket. The manual says if it is loose replace basket , but in reality they are always loose after some use.

I wouldn't be too concerned unless is sounds like a bag of spanners being rattled

Edited by GuyGraham, May 07, 2015 - 12:45 AM.

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 07, 2015 - 01:39 AM

Ok yeh
Guygraham it rattles with the clutch leaver out and sitting in neutral you can hear it just looking at the bike- can't tell if it is rattling when riding ofc

• GuyGraham

Posted May 07, 2015 - 02:27 AM

It won't rattle when riding because it will be under load from the engine with the throttle open, or under load from the rear wheel with the throttle closed

Many many different types / makes / models of bike suffer clutch basket rattle when idling in neutral

My SV1000 does it

My old RD350YPVS did it

My WR450 2008 does it

Don't worry about it

• stevethe

Posted May 07, 2015 - 04:00 AM

Hum every bike I own does it.

• Luv2brap-downunder

Posted May 07, 2015 - 04:32 AM

Oh thanks, guys &%$#@!en helped me out a lot! I just can't remember my yzf250 doing it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.