Suspension - Pittsburgh, PA

8 replies to this topic
  • V-MAN

Posted May 06, 2015 - 06:10 AM

I did a search here on TT and came up empty ... I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area.   I did some googling and found a few shops but thought I'd ask here in the forum to see if any shops recomended to use or too avoid.  I have a 2013 WR450 plated and I ride it off/on road mix (80/20).  

While I'm posting maybe I could get an opinion on best sprocket ratio's.  I am using the stock sprockets both front and rear.  It would be nice to drop some rpm on street but I don't want to give up too much offroad. 

Thanks for any help!

• stevethe

Posted May 06, 2015 - 12:02 PM

Your stock suspension is pretty good depending on your weight.

You could try one tooth larger counter shaft sprocket. It really depends on what kind of dirt riding you do. One tooth in the front is about the same as three in the rear.

• V-MAN

Posted May 07, 2015 - 05:23 AM

Your stock suspension is pretty good depending on your weight.

You could try one tooth larger counter shaft sprocket. It really depends on what kind of dirt riding you do. One tooth in the front is about the same as three in the rear.

Thanks!  I am a fat old bastard weighing about 215-220 with gear and the suspension is a little soft.  That being said my riding has some single track but nothing too radical anymore, sometimes I get into some real gnarly stuff still but I don't go looking for it!!  You still think front sproket or should I go rear maybe 2?  Thanks for thee help.

• stevethe

Posted May 07, 2015 - 05:36 AM

Thanks!  I am a fat old bastard weighing about 215-220 with gear and the suspension is a little soft.  That being said my riding has some single track but nothing too radical anymore, sometimes I get into some real gnarly stuff still but I don't go looking for it!!  You still think front sproket or should I go rear maybe 2?  Thanks for thee help.

Two smaller on the rear sprocket should do. I would send the suspension out to be re-valved and re-sprung.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • V-MAN

Posted May 07, 2015 - 05:45 AM

Two smaller on the rear sprocket should do. I would send the suspension out to be re-valved and re-sprung.

Thank you!  I thought about sending the suspension out, I think I'd prefer a local shop just incase in needs fine tuned a bit?  Maybe I'm over thinking things, I've been known to do that being an A&P Mechanic!!!  There are some local area shops bt being new to the area I don't know which ones are good and theones that aren't!!

Don

• stevethe

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:41 AM

So many suspension shops usually just switch around a couple of shims and change springs. If they really know what they are doing your good with that suspension.

Many suspension shops will throw away the valves and put Racetech valves in and walla their done.

If your a decent mechanic you can follow the CD that comes with the Racetech gold valves and do it yourself. You will learn about suspension and save money. With the new gold valves comes access to the Racetech computer to tell you which shims to use for your weight, riding skills, large tank and so forth.  One thing to remember be honest about where you ride and your skill level.

• V-MAN

Posted May 07, 2015 - 10:50 PM

So many suspension shops usually just switch around a couple of shims and change springs. If they really know what they are doing your good with that suspension.

Many suspension shops will throw away the valves and put Racetech valves in and walla their done.

If your a decent mechanic you can follow the CD that comes with the Racetech gold valves and do it yourself. You will learn about suspension and save money. With the new gold valves comes access to the Racetech computer to tell you which shims to use for your weight, riding skills, large tank and so forth.  One thing to remember be honest about where you ride and your skill level.

I really appreciate your advice, thanks.  I believe I will go for the do it myself route  ... I'm not concerned with the mechanical aspects of pulling the bike apart and putting back together.  The WR is a pretty simple machine and I can fix about anything from airplanes, cars, boats etc and I've been wrenching bikes for a long time.  My biggest thing is getting the suspension set up correctly (I guess that part intimidates me).  It sounds like the RaceTech computer should be able to keep me straight there.  Any idea of turn time, I'm sure this is their busy season.  I ride in so many different type of areas, hopefully there is a one and done for me ... ie mud, big rocks, sugar sand, gravel and simple to moderate trails. 

• stevethe

Posted May 08, 2015 - 05:51 AM

Just order the gold valves on line for the cheapest price you find or call Racetech and tell them you are a Tumpertalk member and they will give you 20% off.
Everything should be in stock and just shipping time.

• mikenash

Posted May 09, 2015 - 04:25 PM

You could also call Factory Connection as they have new location in Pa as well. They can revalve your suspension to what you needs are and NOT throw out parts.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.