04 WR 450 weight/feel

5 replies to this topic
  • Dbake76

Posted May 05, 2015 - 05:04 PM

I own an 04 WR450. I love the bike. I'm 6'-4" about 215 and it's got all the power and lugging power for the woods riding I do. Mostly with my two boys. I recently rode a KTM 250 XCW it felt like a bicycle it felt so light maneuvering around corners in the woods. I compared weights and there's only like 10 pounds between the 2. My question is how can I make my bike "feel" lighter on the trails without hacking the bike up? I like the E-start, headlight etc so not interested in cutting those things out or swapping for a 2-stroke either.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 05, 2015 - 06:27 PM

1. gas sits lower

2. almost no flywheel weight (and almost no torque, either)

3. you sit farther forward

4. lower effective center of gravity

If you pick both bikes from laying on their side, they feel about  the same, but leaning them only 20 degrees, the KTM is lighter, and when moving, it has such soft torque (no flywheel) that directional changes (gyroscopic effect) is reduced substantially.

The best way to make a bike feel lighter is firming up the suspension; respring and revalve are in order for your weight anyway.

Next would be the battery change to Lithium iOn

Next would be lowering the radiators with a Zipty kit

Beyond that, there are no signifigant parts on the bike that you can remove that will save any real weight, other than an after market exhaust and kickstand.

• stevethe

Posted May 05, 2015 - 06:45 PM

A 250 is a lot lighter than a 450. But your suspension being sacked out might make the bike have a heavy feeling. Get the suspension redone by racetech or someone that gets rid of the stock base valves in the forks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 05, 2015 - 08:52 PM

A 250 is a lot lighter than a 450. But your suspension being sacked out might make the bike have a heavy feeling. Get the suspension redone by racetech or someone that gets rid of the stock base valves in the forks.

...oh yeah, that is kind of an important point.

That 250 is about 236 and the 450 is about 270. So it should feel quite a bit heavier.

Not an apples to apples comparison, either.

• JVP

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:04 AM

Check your sag on the rear shock and move your fork tubes up a little.  This will help in the geometry of the bike.  I have an 04 WR and 13 KTM 500 EXC.  They weigh the same, but the KTM is more nimble due to the geometry of the bike.  That is why the bike feels lighter.  You can only do so much.  The WR is far better bike on the high speed open stuff because it is more stable, due to the longer fork rake. 

• Dbake76

Posted May 06, 2015 - 12:01 PM

Thanks for all the input. Sounds it's suspension time, which is over sue anyway since my fork seals have developed slow leaks. Tried just cleaning them and didn't solve it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.