2008 WR450 SSS Forks

2 replies to this topic
  • brentster125

Posted May 05, 2015 - 08:35 AM

I purchased some 2012 SSS YZ450 forks on eBay for my 2008 WR450. I noticed when I installed them that the top of the YZ forks is slightly smaller than the older WR forks and the top clamp doesn't even tighten down on them. What should I do? Should I purchase a YZ450 top clamp from the same era? Maybe a post-2012 WR450 top clamp? A whole new triple clamp? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted May 05, 2015 - 09:31 AM

The ONLY SSS forks that are a direct swap are the 2007 YZ450/250, and you still need to mess with the wheel spacers, depending on speedo or not.

You will need triples and a brake caliper from a 2008+ YZ250/450, or have a sleeve machined.

The YZ uses a different caliper spacing, which you can mickey-mouse by making a new mount in the caliper....

You cannot use just the top clamp from a YZ, as the clamps have a different tube width from the WR.

You need  top and bottom, and to press on the WR steering stem.

• patrick2wd

Posted May 06, 2015 - 02:54 AM

or just transplant the frame-pin thing which holds the upper and lower end.

should be a easy fix, need a press and the old pin, and match them (no idea about sizes, but if you make that fit it should all be good)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.