Would I be disappointed going from a XR650R to a CRF250X?

13 replies to this topic
  • SHANEDOGG

Posted February 17, 2004 - 10:36 AM

Would I be disappointed going from a XR650R to a CRF250X? Any comments? I don't know if the CRF will be enough power....but I know I could definately throw it around. What do you think>

• Rokatt88

Posted February 17, 2004 - 10:50 AM

Shanedogg, I don't know all your riding conditions or what you prefer, but I just got back from 3 days at Ocotillo Wells (again!) and was riding my son's CRF250F & my XR650R. Man, I love my 650 but I LUST :D for the 250F. What a kick in the pants to ride! Great power. Hooks up. Super light. Handles excellently. If the "X" is better suited to Off Road...you owe it to your self to take a long hard look or wait for the 450X. I'm waiting for Clarke to make a bigger tank. Maybe get my boy the "X" and keep the "R" for me!! :D Ahhh...decisions, decisions!! :)

• huntmaster

Posted February 17, 2004 - 11:17 AM

These two bikes really don't compete with each other. It comes down to riding conditions, your size and even personal preference. If you need to gobble up wide open spaces, fire roads, jeep trails and a bit of single track, the big XR is hard to beat. Powerful, strong and durable.

The 250 will just not have the same "legs" here, but will no doubt prove to be great in more closed course, MX, harescrambles, tight woods, etc. If you do a lot of this the new 250 might be your ride, the power will be acceptable and you won't miss the 650's weight.

If you do a lot of the former, you won't be near as happy on the 250 and will miss the 650's power, comfort and legs. No doubt the upcoming 450X will fit in the middle here somewhere, and be a good compromise for many.
:)

• irondude

Posted February 17, 2004 - 11:28 AM

I keep thinking about a CRF250X bored to a 305 with an Edelbrock carb, a large skid plate, steering dampner, and a slightly larger tank.
Thats gotta be the ultimate bike for ISDE, Hair Scrambles, GNCC and just general tight stuff.

• Rokatt88

Posted February 17, 2004 - 11:33 AM

I keep thinking about a CRF250X bored to a 305 with an Edelbrock carb, a large skid plate, steering dampner, and a slightly larger tank.
Thats gotta be the ultimate bike for ISDE, Hair Scrambles, GNCC and just general tight stuff.

You read my mind!

• PoorLilRich

Posted February 17, 2004 - 03:07 PM

Would I be disappointed going from a XR650R to a CRF250X? Any comments? I don't know if the CRF will be enough power....but I know I could definately throw it around. What do you think>

i dont think the crf can even compare to tihs...its all in what you want to do with them too

• big t

Posted February 17, 2004 - 03:59 PM

I have ridden the crf250r and it is a sweet bike. I'm sure the x will be just as sweet but I would definately go with the 450x. As for me, I'm going to keep my big ass on the 650. :) Good luck with your decision.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • huntmaster

Posted February 18, 2004 - 11:23 AM

I have ridden the crf250r and it is a sweet bike. I'm sure the x will be just as sweet but I would definately go with the 450x. As for me, I'm going to keep my big ass on the 650.

Same here. I'll be giving the 450X a serious look when it comes out as I'll be about due to replace my XR by then. But only riding one will be able to prove if it has the comfort and legs to replace the 650R. I'm usually a little nervous about first year models, but Honda generally seems to do their homework on the R&D and testing front.
We'll see!

:)

• J_T

Posted February 19, 2004 - 10:56 AM

I am a little confused... it sounds like some are talking replacing XR650R with 250X and some having it as addition?

who is thinking what?

myself... I haven't ridden any CRF type bike but I could certainly see times when I would think it'd make a great addition b/c some times I'm in the mood to ride in the style that the BRP can't (I ride woods by the way) but then there are times when I just feel like plowing through like a bat out of hell which is perfect for the XR650R.

It all depends on who I am riding with that day too.

Just my opinion on other style bikes with the XR650R.

for what its worth
JT

• loufish

Posted February 19, 2004 - 06:41 PM

Several weeks ago I was part of a upcoming TV show, filming and riding around the California City/Ridgecrest area, we had a "press bike" from Honda...a CRF250X, it's a nice bike, but way down on power, if you rode the CRF250F, then tried the "X" you would not be happy, so if you are on a XR650R, I can't imagine going to a 250 of any model. The 650 a little heavy? Then try a CRF450, you might just be in heaven! That put's the 250's in hell... :)

• xrbrp

Posted February 19, 2004 - 07:10 PM

I'm new to he thumper scene, but have riden and owned a variety of bikes including,yz80, yz125, cr250, huskvarna 500, cr500, and most recently 2002 xr650r,

to put it in the words of my soon to be teenage son, the 650r ROCKS!!! :)

• qadsan

Posted February 19, 2004 - 07:16 PM

if you rode the CRF250F, then tried the "X" you would not be happy

As I understand it, the CA CRF250X will be down on power from the 48 state CRF250X. I also understand you can wake up the CRF250X similar to the way we uncork our XR650R's. I'd like to find out how much difference this makes, but I'm still waiting for the CRF450X to see how that story unfolds. I won't be the first to jump on it, but it might happen before the end of the year...maybe.

Per Thumpercrombie here on TT... :)

Power up kit for 250x
Replace camshaft with crf250r
14100-KRN-670

Replace header pipe with R's model
18320-KRN-000
Gaskets
18291-MM5-860
18392-MK4-000
Better off just get a aftermarket one !!!

Replace the carb parts with
Main jet 152 99101-357-1520
Needle Set Jet 16204-MEN-671
Jet Leak #70 (Accel pump bleed) 99108-krn-0700

Set the pilot screw at two and three quarter turns..

Remove the diffuser pipe from the exhaust

Increase the air box opening
By removing snorkel.. cutting airbox..

Behind the left side cover there is a natural color main coupler.. On the ecu side of this natural coupler there is a pink wire. Underneath the pink wire is a blank terminal plugged with a rubber cap.. reconect the coupler to the wiring harness(in modified form, the pink wire is unconnenected to any other wire...

Now all you have to do is wait a few more hours to a few more days to get your X's in... Getting our's on thursday.. Finaly a woods bike worth having from honda..

• SHANEDOGG

Posted February 20, 2004 - 03:40 PM

I was thinking about getting rid of my 650R because I'm not riding in the type of terrain where I'm full bore on the throttle. I do a lot of technical washes and single trail w/ many rocks, cactus, ruts etc. I am looking for a more nimble bike to ride in this terrain and was wondering if i would be disappointed in the power output of the 250 compared to the 650......not comparing them. The 650 is a blast on wide open stuff (20% of my riding)....no so good in what i'm riding in. I'm 95% sure that I'm trading in the XR650R for a WR450....and it's got the magic button :)

• larry650

Posted February 21, 2004 - 07:51 PM

For the reasons you outline in your post I went with a KTM525exc. Just couldn`t wait for a crf450x that I would not be able to dual sport in Cal.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.