'15 or wait for '16 WR450?

18 replies to this topic
  • easystreet

Posted May 03, 2015 - 03:03 PM

I'm new here and basically new to dirt bikes. I am a lifetime quad rider looking for a new challenge. I am only interested in a dirt bike that I can easily make street legal. Colorado requires head light, brake light, mirror, DOT tires and a horn. I am fairly well decided to get a WR450 (unless a better option exists). I am anxious to get something but would wait if some crucial innovations are to come. 

About me: 40 years old, 6'3", 215lbs, expert on any quad, full novice on bikes (twist throttle leery).

About terrain: 50% town fun ride, 50% Colorado trails.

So, am I looking at the right bike and should I hold out for a 2016? I would not be able to sell in a year and upgrade. 

• rwebb35

Posted May 03, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Absolutely get the 16! Problem is, will it get the new design? You don't want to miss this riding season either. If you have a bike to ride this season I would definitely see what 16 has to offer.

• Monk

Posted May 03, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Any reason not to look at a new YZFX or WR250F?

• rwebb35

Posted May 03, 2015 - 04:12 PM

FYI, Vickery motorsports will sell you a plated wr! 15 or 16

• morphrider

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:48 PM

whichever you end up getting, I am looking for the friendly test ride, lol. Take that sucka for a spin!,

• easystreet

Posted May 04, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Any reason not to look at a new YZFX or WR250F?

I have considered the WR250F. It's a grand less and saves 15lbs weight which would be mildly beneficial. I'm afraid the 250 won't have the power for street riding. I'm sure it would be plenty on the trails for my skill level though. 

The YZFX has no lights so it's out. 

• easystreet

Posted May 04, 2015 - 05:36 PM

whichever you end up getting, I am looking for the friendly test ride, lol. Take that sucka for a spin!,

Shouldn't be long amigo

• Monk

Posted May 04, 2015 - 05:58 PM

I have considered the WR250F. It's a grand less and saves 15lbs weight which would be mildly beneficial. I'm afraid the 250 won't have the power for street riding. I'm sure it would be plenty on the trails for my skill level though.
The YZFX has no lights so it's out.

I think lighting is plug and play on the FX...

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:21 PM

I'm new here and basically new to dirt bikes. I am a lifetime quad rider looking for a new challenge. I am only interested in a dirt bike that I can easily make street legal. Colorado requires head light, brake light, mirror, DOT tires and a horn. I am fairly well decided to get a WR450 (unless a better option exists). I am anxious to get something but would wait if some crucial innovations are to come. 

About me: 40 years old, 6'3", 215lbs, expert on any quad, full novice on bikes (twist throttle leery).

About terrain: 50% town fun ride, 50% Colorado trails.

So, am I looking at the right bike and should I hold out for a 2016? I would not be able to sell in a year and upgrade. 

A wr for a 50/50 bike?   Hmmm....

Novice on a 450?    Hmmm...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hootie233

Posted May 05, 2015 - 02:34 AM

Fellow Coloradan here. Just as a heads up I bought a plated 2012 wr450f for 5800 with all the go fast mods and a extra set of knobbies. I dont know why people say a 450 is too much for a first dirt bike... just like all other bikes its all about throttle control, I think its way more forgiving that a 600 sportbike

• easystreet

Posted May 05, 2015 - 08:10 PM

So I went to the KTM shop and a Yamaha shop tonight with a friend. Neither place lets you test ride a bike. Is this normal? How the hell do I know what I want to buy if I can't ride it. KTM salesman was a real nice guy and all, but he's like " you just kind of have to trust us ". WTH? I've test ridden tons of quads. The KTM shop said they don't even start them usually. This is crazy!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 05, 2015 - 08:50 PM

So I went to the KTM shop and a Yamaha shop tonight with a friend. Neither place lets you test ride a bike. Is this normal? How the hell do I know what I want to buy if I can't ride it. KTM salesman was a real nice guy and all, but he's like " you just kind of have to trust us ". WTH? I've test ridden tons of quads. The KTM shop said they don't even start them usually. This is crazy!

Sorry, but you must be living under a rock.

No dealership will let you test ride a dirt bike, accept maybe on a manufactuers ride day, or, in GA at KTM world.

What the heck do you plan to learn from a 3 min ride down an alley anyway?

• easystreet

Posted May 06, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Sorry, but you must be living under a rock.

No dealership will let you test ride a dirt bike, accept maybe on a manufactuers ride day, or, in GA at KTM world.

What the heck do you plan to learn from a 3 min ride down an alley anyway?

Haha, yeah not living under a rock. Just not familiar with the dirt bike side of riding. A short ride down an alley could tell me a hell of a lot. Throttle response, power potential, seat feel, standing comfort, gearing effect. It's not the best but I'm sure that there is a significant difference in feel between brands and models. It doesn't take hours on the track or trail to feel that. Not in the ATV world anyway. And apparently its not across the board no test rides. I called two more dealerships today and they both said it would be fine to do a short ride once our rain dries up. 

• Monk

Posted May 06, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Haha, yeah not living under a rock. Just not familiar with the dirt bike side of riding. A short ride down an alley could tell me a hell of a lot. Throttle response, power potential, seat feel, standing comfort, gearing effect. It's not the best but I'm sure that there is a significant difference in feel between brands and models. It doesn't take hours on the track or trail to feel that. Not in the ATV world anyway. And apparently its not across the board no test rides. I called two more dealerships today and they both said it would be fine to do a short ride once our rain dries up.

30min down a alley could tell you a lot? Christ, you should be a test rider for MXA...

• mdsharon

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:13 PM

My KTM dealer had a demo and it was the reason I bought the bike  :jawdrop: !!!!!!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted May 06, 2015 - 08:33 PM

30min down a alley could tell you a lot? Christ, you should be a test rider for MXA...

.....only if you love KTM.

Why do you think that little midget senior editor make every test rider wear an Orange helmet? 

• Chaconne

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:16 PM

Some dealerships will let you take a dirtbike for ride. But most will not. It is very difficult to access the capabilities of a rider and accidents for first-timers and rookies on dirtbikes is pretty high (seen it many many times). No offense, but the startup skills required for a dirtbike are quite a bit higher than for an ATV, so dealerships are wary and they should be. BTW good luck in getting your new bike, my 2014 WR is already seeming old... :ride: You will be very happy with the WR, BTW not sure how the newer WRs come for green sticker but see if you can get dealer to unplug it as part of the deal, if you don't need the green compliance.

• morphrider

Posted May 07, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Here in Colorado we don't deal with stickers like other states. All OHV machines do need a sticker to ride trails though, just not to the extent of say California bikes. When he gets the WR and plates it, he will still need that same OHV sticker to ride trails. $25 and good to go. Unless you are like me and have to do 4 machines, ugh.

• jas6395

Posted May 08, 2015 - 04:32 AM

Any injected WR450 is good, they have such linear power delivery in stock form, you could get off a moped and ride one, if you're not retarded on the throttle.

My mate bought a 15 and the only downsides are the lack of an ignition key, and a painful seat. Oh and it chews tyres, but thats not the bikes fault  :goofy:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.