Raising fork tubes?

5 replies to this topic
  • miguelitro

Posted February 17, 2004 - 07:56 AM

Anyone tried raising the fork tubes a few mm's to make the front end track a little straighter? I've never tried it on any bike but with the amount that the front end of my 600r goes side to side at high speeds, esp. in the sand, is a little disconcerting.
Thanx for any insight

• Big_D

Posted February 17, 2004 - 09:28 AM

I raised the tubes on my XR650R 10mm to make it turn quicker in the woods. The result was that it became more unstable at high speeds. So I dropped them back to stock and use more muscle in the woods.

I would suggest looking at a steering damper to calm your front end.

• Dualndan

Posted February 17, 2004 - 06:19 PM

Big-D, 10mm is a HUGE raise for the fork tubes. It only takes a few mm(2-4) to make a big difference in the handling. you might try a smaller number and see how you like that.

miguelitro, You could look into a fork brace. I have one from Summers Racing Components and it makes a world of difference in sand and whoops. Also, it's alot cheaper than a steering damper. Click here for pic.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWB63

Posted February 17, 2004 - 06:53 PM

I have a Scotts steering dampener and a SuperBrace fork brace. They both do two different things. One stops the forks from twisting and the other dampens the hits. I have a bad wrist and the dampener is the biggest help. I lowered my fork tubes to gain more control through the whoops at high speed. I made then flush with the top triple clamp. Yes, it does make it easier to wash out the front end on the slippery hard pack on hard fast turns and wants to push in the burms at the track.

• irondude

Posted February 17, 2004 - 07:48 PM

I have about 1/3rd an inch of the forks above the clamps-and more importantly i have the rear axle as forward as possible. Steering dampner at about 1/2 strength.
The bike handles very well, and wont shake at speed.

• Rokatt88

Posted February 18, 2004 - 07:05 AM

This is a very timely topic! I had sent my suspension to Race Tech and they had it for about a month. When I was putting the forks back on I didn't remember how high the fork tubes were. I should have marked it. Anyway, I set the tubes right at the line that the fork cap makes where it screws on and was really having issues with turning. Bad issues! I checked ThumpDaddy's 650 and saw that his forks were about 5mm's up. Made the change and we be happy one time! Amazing what a difference it can make.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.