Bad Noises Wr 450f 2005 Engine (Ticking/Clacking)

4 replies to this topic
  • Darko7

Posted April 29, 2015 - 05:04 PM

Youtube Video Link. This is a bike I picked up over the winter. After checking out the top end (wrist pin, piston, cylinder all looked good) I noitced the intake cam was tight in the journals. Hard to spin with my hand when the cover bolts were snugged to finger tight, while the exhaust cam spun freely. There was with no other evidence of damage in the motor. So I bought a 2006 Yfz 450 intake cam and swapped it in there and I also put in new gaskets and re shimmed the valves before starting it back up and this is the sounded like. I double checked the valve clearances and timing before this video and the cam chain was tight. Right now I am at a loss as to what is causing the ticking noise and the rattle sound, the rattle sound was there before but the ticking sound is new. I am assuming the rattle sound could be the big end bearing worn out but I checked the conrod for up and down play and didnt notice any while I had it appart. I took it to my mechanic but he didn't have any idea as to what it was without taking it appart and said to just ride it. That is not a good idea in my opinion. Any of your input or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Youtube Video Link:

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 29, 2015 - 07:01 PM

That's the cam bouncing

Your head is toast.

If your old cam had problems spinning, you would change the head, andt he cam, as the head is the journal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Motodwn71

Posted May 13, 2015 - 11:11 AM

Don't start or ride this bike!!! I worked on an 03 that made the same noise. On that bike the nut on the right side of the crank shaft that holds the primary drive gear had come loose and backed out. It destroyed the inside of clutch case, the splined washer behind flew apart causing catastrophic engine damage. I could be something else, sounds like the same noise I experienced. To be safe I would remove the outer crank case from in front of the clutch. This will expose the clutch, primary drive gear ect. You'll have to remove oil and coolant lines, oil filter, and kick starter.

• Darko7

Posted May 16, 2015 - 10:33 AM

Don't start or ride this bike!!! I worked on an 03 that made the same noise. On that bike the nut on the right side of the crank shaft that holds the primary drive gear had come loose and backed out. It destroyed the inside of clutch case, the splined washer behind flew apart causing catastrophic engine damage. I could be something else, sounds like the same noise I experienced. To be safe I would remove the outer crank case from in front of the clutch. This will expose the clutch, primary drive gear ect. You'll have to remove oil and coolant lines, oil filter, and kick starter.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into the right side of the crank case for loose parts. I need to take it off anyway because the bike before had gushed a little coolant out the weep hole while kicking it over and hasnt leaked since but I am replacing the coolant impellar seals just to be sure.

• stevethe

Posted May 16, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Your bike sounds like the kind of top end noise when something has been run with no oil in it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.