New Public Track Ideas/Suggestions/Guidance?

3 replies to this topic
  • maverick

Posted February 15, 2002 - 06:48 AM

Hi All,

I recently got back into dirt-riding after a 15 year absence, and for the most part I've enjoyed it very much. However, I'm having a hard time finding a local track that is not only close by but also 'beginner-friendly'. Has anyone here built a public (or personal) track/riding area? I'm looking for some guidance through the pitfalls of: buying the land, building the track, setting-up the business, the liability, etc, and just the general likes and dislikes of your local tracks. Any ideas, sugestions are welcomed. Who knows? With a little help, maybe I can get this done and set-up a 'how to' package for anyone to use. IMHO, the more good tracks out there, the better it is for our sport as a whole. Thanks in advance, Max

P.S. This is a fantasticly informative site!

• Scott_F

Posted February 15, 2002 - 09:50 AM

Howdy Max! :)

IMO, the toughest battle will be gubmint permits, zoning, land use ordinances, etc. Then there is insurance. Lease the land out in the middle of nowhere west Texas! JK, but you want to be far from whiners. If you do get to build something, make a modern MX/SX type track, and an old school mellow MX track. Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kirtwell

Posted February 15, 2002 - 10:33 PM

Hey Max,
I just spent a year doing exactly what you are wanting to do. I built a huge track in Southern Oklahoma and ended up closing it permanently last month to the public. I'm really bummed out.
I'd be more than happy to talk to you about it over the phone....you really need to know what you are getting yourself into with a MX track...
The liabilitis are huge and the cost to maintain a track is high as well....not to mention insurance and lawyer fees...ect...ect... Email me and we'll trade phone numbers.

kirtwelll@yahoo.com

• Boit

Posted February 15, 2002 - 09:02 PM

Kirtwell: Would you mind posting a general description of your experience? What was the straw that broke the camel's back that caused you to decide to close the track to the public?

[ February 15, 2002: Message edited by: Boit ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.