Oil disappeares from sight glass

9 replies to this topic
  • mf746

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:03 AM

2012 yz450f new cylinder piston rings gaskets, oil comes up in site glass then as its idlling slowly goes away... Any ideas? Where does it go? Possible clogged internal lines? HELP!!

• nucular

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:24 AM

It gets sucked out of the case and transferred throughout your engine.  That's how it works.  When you turn the engine off, it stops circulating and pools in the bottom.  Once it has pooled, you use the check glass to check the level.

• Chansharp

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:53 AM

Mine doesn't show when running either...

• mf746

Posted April 28, 2015 - 11:00 AM

That's kinda what I thought but. I was sure I could see it in there before maybe I'm just being paranoid

• Swes

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:04 AM

When the engine is idling or running a large amount of oil is up in the head and various passages when the engine is shut off it goes back down into the sump , it would be a bad sign if oil didn't disappear from the sight glass as it would indicate low flow or over filing .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:33 AM

When the engine is idling or running a large amount of oil is up in the head and various passages when the engine is shut off it goes back down into the sump , it would be a bad sign if oil didn't disappear from the sight glass as it would indicate low flow or over filing .

The problem with this description is that the oil in the sump doesn't show on the sight glass, which is simply because the sight glass is located in the "tank" section of the crankcases and not the sump. 

It's a dry sump oiling system.  Oil is removed from the storage volume where the sight glass is by the feed pump, and delivered directly to the lube points in the engine.  From there, it drains back to the sump where it is picked up by the second, higher volume return pump and returned to the "tank".  While running, the level may rise and fall a visually significant amount depending on how well the sump happens to be scavenged out at a particular moment, and can really only be accurately read in the glass with the engine shut off.

• mf746

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:55 AM

The problem I'm having now is its not showing up in the sight glass whatsoever. I made sure there was the exact right amount in the engine and it still won't appear. At all.

• Chansharp

Posted April 29, 2015 - 11:16 AM

What a dumb design I my opinion..I'm just gonna measure it going in and call it day..but then I won't know if I'm losing oil

Edited by Chansharp, April 29, 2015 - 11:16 AM.

• jcm3

Posted April 29, 2015 - 02:38 PM

Are you following the right process to check it?  It's pretty specific.

Start the engine, run for at least one minute, shut down, wait 30 seconds and check your oil level with the bike level and upright.

http://www.thumperta...s/#entry9860331

• mf746

Posted April 30, 2015 - 01:54 AM

Jcm yessir, following it exactly, have since the bike was new. I raced IXCR series for two years changed it every race I got the procedure down

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.