Fuel

What fuel does everyone run in there klr bike 91 octane 95 or 98

I am curious to see what everyone runs. I run a 98 all the time all ways have. I heard a few roomers that 91 was the best for the klr ??????

I'm not sold on that .

Can any one advise ??

The KLR engine is low compression ratio and has little squish area so happy with low octane fuel. There is no advantage to higher, IMO, excepting for storage to avoid water absorbtion by alcohol containing fuel. If you try a quantitative measure such as comparing wide open throttle climbing the same steep highway hill, the results should show the same results as others I've checked = no difference with higher octane, a waste of money. Just my $0.02.

• Like 1

Normk said it all.  Octane has no advantage until the compression ratio is increased.  It may run a bit cooler and the horrible ethanol crap is avoided.  Octane allows for the mixture to be compressed tighter and avoid exploding to early.  Low octane fuel will explode under less pressure, not allowing the piston to rise far enough up the cylinder (pre-ignition).  The piston then fights its way around top dead center to get to the power stroke.  This steals power, makes the rattle sound, can break ring landings, builds heat.  This is when ethanol fuel is real bad. For whatever reason this crap loses octane and is responsible for destroying many engines, especially engines that sit awhile between uses.  Ethanol fuel has other issues but that is all I know about octane. 

I have never used a ethanol fuel

Not even in a lawn mower .

the bike has a bit more power when I run 98 octane

Definitely makes a nice sound .

I don't have any problems with the 91or 95 but I am getting better mileage with 98

Which bring me to my next question

Witch is a big argument here in Aus

BP vs Caltex vs shell .